• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help SD Card memory usage

jetskisat

By default Samsung Galaxy 10.1 2014 starts numerous programs with the result that tablet is always out of memory.

Programs rarely used are started blocking memory, with the result that my android assistant app is consistently freeing memory.

Although I bought a 64 gb sdcard this is rarely used.

Is there any way to stop numerous Google programs which are rarely used to free memory

Any suggestions welcome as my enthusiasm b for this model is waning as my I pad without sdcard is never without sufficient memory

If you are referring to RAM (which I assume you are based on what you wrote). You've misunderstood a number of things. Firstly, RAM memory had nothing whatsoever to do with storage memory. This tablet comes with either 16gb, 32gb (or theoretically 64gb) storage (sometimes referred to as memory). On top of this, you can add an sd card of storage space up to 64gb. That is the memory used to store programs, files, pictures, videos, etc. If you want to store files on your external sd card, you can either do this manually or set programs to store the files there. Some programs will not allow this, depends on who made the app. The second type of memory, is RAM memory. This tablet comes with 3gb. Total. The end. Nothing you accessorise your tablet with will change this fact. The ipad air for comparison comes with 1gb.

Traditionally, in a PC, you wanted lots of free RAM memory, if all the memory got filled up by having too many programs in use at the same time, your PC would lock up. I believe in windows 8, it now works more like Linux and Android, so this isn't necessarily the case. Android fills up the RAM memory with programs in preparation for them being used, not having the RAM filled is not going make your tablet work better or more efficiently... It is simply a waste of RAM, and you may as well be using a tablet with less RAM. As you need memory, it is automatically freed up, there is nothing you need to do, and no program you need doing this for you.

However, one point you made can be rectified. If you never use a program, and you don't want it ever running in the RAM ready for use, you can disable it (except the programs that Samsung has disabled the disable on :)). There are 2 ways to do this. Go to settings, general, application manager, swipe over to the "all" column, and disable the programs that you don't use and allow disabling.
Method 2 is for actual programs only, not processes (like the application manager includes), but it allows disablinga couple programs that the application manager does not, such as knox. First, if you are using a different launcher than touchwiz, clear defaults, press home and choose touchwiz. If you don't know what I mean by launcher ignore that part. Go into your app drawer, press the settings button, and choose uninstall/disable apps. The ones with the minus symbol, you can disable or uninstall. If you want to enable them later, you can choose show disabled apps in the same settings menu in the app drawer, and enable them from there.

Thanks. Your reply is most useful

Is there an app you suggest that frees memory.
I have
1. Task manager
2. Android assistant

If you can suggest a better optimiser I could un-install unecessary ones.

Samsung should have catered for this.

Apps that free memory interfere with the proper operation of the OS and are a bad idea. Android manages its own memory and should be allowed to do so.

You refer to your Note as being "out of memory" but have you established this by looking at the amount of free memory (which is generally not something you need to worry about as pointed out by Uschiekid above) or because something is actually not working as you expect?

If it's the former, stop worrying about it. If it's the latter, please describe the problem as high memory usage on Android is not a problem in itself.

Back
Top Bottom