• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

SD card problems

mhrf90

Oct 30, 2011
Overall loving this phone so far but I got problems with apps accessing the SD card. Stock gallery doesn't show downloaded images and my music player of choice (Phonograph) can't make changes to files on the SD card. There's no permission error or anything, it shows as if the file was edited or deleted but no change takes place. I've searched and searched and I've found people mentioning these issues, but no solutions. Anyone?

Reactions: omgb1973
Yes, it works with stock camera. Yes, it is a legit Samsung SD card. The file manager displays everything just fine and creating and deleting files works fine as well. It is on every other app where files on the SD don't show UNLESS I make a change to ANY file on the SD first through file manager. Music player displays and plays every song just fine but won't make changes to the songs.

Upvote 0
Phonograph music player. Try editing tags and deleting a song. It seems like it gets it done but then you go to the recently added playlist and the song you just deleted shows up on top lol Also, the stock gallery app guys! That's by far the most annoying because if it doesn't show there then it also doesn't show on WhatsApp I don't exactly know what triggers the apps to actually show changes in the SD, but something does because sometimes I'll save an image from Chrome to share on WhatsApp and it's not showing and I'm like meh screw this I ain't looking for it in the file manager, and forget all about it. Then the day after the image is now showing on WhatsApp... And yes they all got permissions set up. I've read other people bring this up no one seems to know what's causing it; they've all gotten used to using the share button on the file manager lol

Reactions: NeoZiggy
Upvote 0
This may sound basic, but regardless of SD brand, did you install it and then format it on the phone?

Formatting the memory card
A memory card formatted on a computer may not be compatible with the device. Format the
memory card on the device.
On the Home screen, tap Apps → Settings → Storage → Format SD card → FORMAT SD
CARD → ERASE EVERYTHING.
Before formatting the memory card, remember to make backup copies of all
important data stored on the device.

Reactions: mhrf90
Upvote 0
This may sound basic, but regardless of SD brand, did you install it and then format it on the phone?

Formatting the memory card
A memory card formatted on a computer may not be compatible with the device. Format the
memory card on the device.
On the Home screen, tap Apps → Settings → Storage → Format SD card → FORMAT SD
CARD → ERASE EVERYTHING.
Before formatting the memory card, remember to make backup copies of all
important data stored on the device.
I did not, got 19gb of music in there. Never had to format with all previous devices, but I'll give it a shot when I get home. Happy new year everyone!

Upvote 0
I can confirm this issue. I've encountered this with chrome and posting to the Facebook website (I don't use the app, just webpage) numerous times.

The gallery doesn't show the image I've just downloaded. When i manually find the image in my downloads it will finally show in the gallery so I can upload it. And i don't even use an SD card....
Now that you mention it, the SD card most definitely has nothing to do with that at all. I'm sure it is somehow connected to the issue I'm having in Phonograph (music player) though

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones