• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help SD Card Unavailable | Vivo V2029

Kuroshiba

Lurker
Feb 22, 2022
Few days ago, my phone suddenly shows a notification said "SD Card Unavailable". I've tried removing the SD Card and putting it back in, it wont work. I've tried searching various similar posts but doesn't work for me.
All the post I've read about told me to start my phone in safe mode and see if the card can read or not, then delete the apps or file that are causing that trouble...doesn't work (the SD Card just wont read).
Then, I also know that i can connect it to my computer and see if it's able to read the SD Card and re-format if need to, but the SD Card's File doesn't even show up in the first place. What can I do?
(Thank you in advance)

its really hard to pin point a life span of a sd card. it will depend on how much wear and tear they go thru. it also depends if you formatted the card as internal storage vs portable storage. if it was formatted as internal you will increase the wear and tear of the card.

how old is the card?

and if the card will not be seen on your phone when the phone is hooked up to your pc, then you will need a card reader as i mentioned before. you should be able to re-format the card that way.

Reactions: puppykickr
Upvote 0
its really hard to pin point a life span of a sd card. it will depend on how much wear and tear they go thru. it also depends if you formatted the card as internal storage vs portable storage. if it was formatted as internal you will increase the wear and tear of the card.

how old is the card?

and if the card will not be seen on your phone when the phone is hooked up to your pc, then you will need a card reader as i mentioned before. you should be able to re-format the card that way.

It's about 2-3 year old. What's the rough estimate of a SD Card's lifespan?

Upvote 0
Even if you can reformat the card again, I would never trust that card again.

Also, if it is a high capacity card, the failure rate increases with the capacity of the card.

I seem to have had an abnormal failure rate of SD cards, even though I buy good brand cards from reputable sources.

I now stick with 32 GB cards by Sans Disk.

I have had multiple Lexar brand cards fail, and one 256 GB Sans Disk as well.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
It's about 2-3 year old. What's the rough estimate of a SD Card's lifespan?

Once again, it is how you use it.
Read/Write cycles are what it is measured by.
If you only put pictures, videos, and other things onto it to view later then that is fine.

When you delete and rewrite to a card it causes wear.
If you put apps onto it, and/or format it as internal memory, then it is being rewritten onto constantly.

Supposedly the limit is in the tens of thousands, and that is supposed to give approximately 10 years of life.

But as I said above, I have had cards fail before they were even close to being full the first time.

Some failed within a month or two, and then the 256 GB card failed in about two weeks with about 30 GB on it.

SD cards are not a viable storage solution for anything important.

Upvote 0
Once again, it is how you use it.
Read/Write cycles are what it is measured by.
If you only put pictures, videos, and other things onto it to view later then that is fine.

When you delete and rewrite to a card it causes wear.
If you put apps onto it, and/or format it as internal memory, then it is being rewritten onto constantly.

Supposedly the limit is in the tens of thousands, and that is supposed to give approximately 10 years of life.

But as I said above, I have had cards fail before they were even close to being full the first time.

Some failed within a month or two, and then the 256 GB card failed in about two weeks with about 30 GB on it.

SD cards are not a viable storage solution for anything important.

I see, I might buy a 32GB or 64GB for my next SD Card then. Thanks

Reactions: puppykickr
Upvote 0
I see, I might buy a 32GB or 64GB for my next SD Card then. Thanks

I drew my information from sources that use these cards for their professions, like photographers and videographers.

These folks will use a card to record something, then delete the content and reformat the card before using it again.

They replace the cards often, because they do not want any failures.
They also will use and then reformat the cards a few times before they are used for anything important.

This helps to prevent a disaster from an early failure.

It has been stated that a card will most often fail after a very short time or after a very long time.

Upvote 0
I drew my information from sources that use these cards for their professions, like photographers and videographers.

These folks will use a card to record something, then delete the content and reformat the card before using it again.

They replace the cards often, because they do not want any failures.
They also will use and then reformat the cards a few times before they are used for anything important.

This helps to prevent a disaster from an early failure.

It has been stated that a card will most often fail after a very short time or after a very long time.

I see, it's good to know that. Although, mine is not all that important honestly. While we are on the topic of important files, any recommendation to store important file on portable devices? (For example, portable HDD or SDD or something similar. cause I heard that those also have chance for it to corrupt)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones