• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help SD Card "Unavailable"

dat droid

Lurker
I recently bought a Kingston 32 GB MicroSD Card and inserted it into the right tray of my HTC One M8 phone.

The SD Card is not being recognised by my phone. Why is this? It's a MicroSD Card so it should work, right??

Screenshot_2015-11-05-02-45-38_zpsdqzvyo1r.png

Is there a step I'm missing for this to work?

I recently bought a Kingston 32 GB MicroSD Card and inserted it into the right tray of my HTC One M8 phone.

The SD Card is not being recognised by my phone. Why is this? It's a MicroSD Card so it should work, right??

Try a reboot with the SD card in the phone. If that don't work try putting it in a card reader for your PC and see if windows sees it OR, IF POSSIBLE, try putting it in another Android device and see if it sees it. If any of those can see the card, then you've ruled out a faulty SD card and maybe we can move in from there.

It worked when I put it in another Android device (Sony Xperia Tablet Z4)

I tried putting it back in the HTC One m8 and it still didn't recgonise it... Also when I rebooted with the SD card in, the phone hanged on the boot screen and kept restarting.

Last edited:
So you tried a reboot with it in the m8 then as well?

Use an SD card reader for your PC and use Windows. Go to computer and right click the drive the SD card is in. Select format and fix errors. Then try it in your phone again

My next question is going to be, have you ever used an SD card in this phone before and if so can you put it in and see if it works?

So you tried a reboot with it in the m8 then as well?

Use an SD card reader for your PC and use Windows. Go to computer and right click the drive the SD card is in. Select format and fix errors. Then try it in your phone again

Yes I tried to reboot with the SD Card in the M8 and it messed up and the screen was stuck on the boot screen and it kept restarting... So I removed it and the phone started just fine. Maybe it's an actual hardware issue?

I don't have an SD Card reader so I will have to buy one first...

This would be the first time I have used an SD Card in this phone.

I wonder if experia encrypted it... Try to format that SD card or get your hands on another SD card to try. It's possible that your card reader hardware could be damaged. Try to get something in there it can read. If you can then it has to be the card itself. If it is, format it. You can get an SD card reader with any cheap old SD card. I think a one gig SD is about $3 and it will come with with a reader. I've got a drawer full of them

This is way out there but, are you certain it's being inserted properly with that questionable tray system we have? Just wondering. Seems it could go awry.

Sometimes they go bad. I imagine they could be bad out of the box. Can that phone handle one that size?

Last edited:
Does the m8 even support a microSD card? The tray on the I got side of my m7 is fir the sim card for communicating with the carrier. The SD card is a virtual card built into the phone.

Does the m8 even support a microSD card? The tray on the I got side of my m7 is fir the sim card for communicating with the carrier. The SD card is a virtual card built into the phone.
Yes it does. It has a tray on the right for external SD and a tray on the left for the sim card

Yes it does. It has a tray on the right for external SD and a tray on the left for the sim card
Thanks. I actually just found that out a couple of minutes ago. May just have to upgrade to it soon.

I did see a video that says you have to mount the microSD card akin to what you do in Unix. Did you do that?

Thanks. I actually just found that out a couple of minutes ago. May just have to upgrade to it soon.

I did see a video that says you have to mount the microSD card akin to what you do in Unix. Did you do that?
I'm not sure how UNIX does it but I just put mine in there right out of the box. Had the same one since I got the phone a little over a year ago. Never had an issue with it.

I'm not sure how UNIX does it but I just put mine in there right out of the box. Had the same one since I got the phone a little over a year ago. Never had an issue with it.
According to the video I saw on YouTube you're supposed to go into settings and click on something that says, "mount sdcard" for it to be accessible. Do a search on YouTube. It's a short 3 minuter video, or thereabouts.

According to the video I saw on YouTube you're supposed to go into settings and click on something that says, "mount sdcard" for it to be accessible. Do a search on YouTube. It's a short 3 minuter video, or thereabouts.

Yeah there is an option under settings>storage to mount/unmounted SD card but it should automatically detect that there's a card there and mount it. Also, if you look at the op's first post there's a screenshot of that settings menu. His is greyed out. No option to mount or unmount. That does give me an idea though...

With the phone turned on, if you pop the SD tray open do you get a notification that storage is removed? Try it and see what it does. Pop it out and then put it back in again.

Dude, looking at your screenshot, at the very top, I see the word "password"... Is there an option to put a password in there? Are you sure you didn't " encrypt SD card " when you had it in the experia?

Back
Top Bottom