• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root SD partitioning

reppard

Android Enthusiast
I've partitioned my sdcard using the custom recovery menu but I don't see how you make android install to the ext3 partition. As far as I can see it still uses either the fat32 or the internal memory which hasn't increased since I repartitioned my card. Any wisdom?

I think the problem is in our rom. I don't think we have ext3 support and also no init.d. something for the custom rom guys to think about

I think I've ask the same question in these two threads....

http://androidforums.com/optimus-m-...-after-2-2-1-root-team-chicken-eater-rom.html

POST #14
When I get done partitioning I go to mount it in the Recovery Menu I get the error mentioned above ""E:Can't mount /dev/block/mmcblk0p2 (No such device)"... After reboot, the internal storage (memory) amount is still at 158MB... BUT the total space on my SD card goes from 1.8GB to 507MB to Am I missing a step here?

&

http://androidforums.com/optimus-m-...nally-custom-recovery-2-2-1-stock-phones.html

POST #39
"Anyone else having problems when trying to mount /sd-ext after partitioning sdcard? I get an error "E:Can't mount /dev/block/mmcblk0p2 (No such device)"

ext3 isn't supported with most stock roms and most modded ones are basically modded stock, its there for people to look into support for it, but the partitioning should have automatically used ext2 instead of 3 :O

I've been able to manually mount an ext3 partition so it is supported. The problem might be getting it to mount automatically at boot. What you would need to do is copy /data/app to the ext3 part and mount it to something like /system/sd/. Symlink /data/app to /system/sd/app so then apps live on the ext3 part. You would also have to do the same with dalvik-cache tho as thats the one thats probably taking up more space. I havn't tried yet but supposedly a2sd+ can do this without needing to repartition at all.

I've been able to manually mount an ext3 partition so it is supported. The problem might be getting it to mount automatically at boot. What you would need to do is copy /data/app to the ext3 part and mount it to something like /system/sd/. Symlink /data/app to /system/sd/app so then apps live on the ext3 part. You would also have to do the same with dalvik-cache tho as thats the one thats probably taking up more space. I havn't tried yet but supposedly a2sd+ can do this without needing to repartition at all.

Yes I can confirm that ext3 Is supported as I was able to mount mine manually. I even moved /data/app to it and linked it but it hung up on reboot obviously because there is nothing to tell the phone to mount the partition. What can we do without init.d support? Well I for one am going to see what I can do with fstab.

The current /etc/vold.fstab looks like this

dev_mount sdcard /mnt/sdcard auto /devices/platform/goldfish_mmc.0 /devices/platform/msm_sdcc.1/mmc_host/mmc0

I haven't figured out the correct syntax to add our ext3 partition. But we are close! Any ideas?

Well I found a way to add ext support to this phone. I used android kitchen to add support to the rom. It was a fairly simple process!

Back
Top Bottom