• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

SecureBoot isn't configured correctly (Windows 8.1)

sfbloodbrother

Extreme Android User
Jul 30, 2012
Chicago IL
A while ago while installing Boinc manager I had a problem with this computer where it would not boot to Windows. I left it off for a while, and now it's working, but there is this message on the homescreen and I don't know what it means. Anyone know what this means?

Message says
"Windows 8.1
SecureBoot isn't configured correctly
Build 9600"

Attachments

• insecureboot.png
    insecureboot.png
    227.5 KB · Views: 58
Upvote 0

I've noticed that Win 8 seems to have gone to this watermarking thing now, when the DRM is not happy. Like Secure Boot is disabled or when the OS hasn't been activated and shows an "Activate Windows" watermark. I should imagine Microsoft issued this patch to disable the Secure Boot problem watermark, because I would think it would be quite annoying especially if it wasn't working correctly and giving false information. Basically hiding the problem rather than actually fixing it.

Windows 7 would actually shut-down and prevent you using it, when the DRM was defeated or not activated.

AFAIK the original purpose of Secure Boot and the trusted platform was to ensure that only authorised software could run at start-up. Which should prevent malware from running at start, but it also prevents pirated Windows from running or if it's been otherwise tampered with, as well as locking out non-Microsoft OSs, like GNU/Linux.

Upvote 0
What kind of software do you need? Linux has a ton of software all of which seems to be pretty good.

Yes, there is great software, but Much of it is not Professionally made not much of a problem, but when it comes to gaming, Linux is just not there yet. I would love to play games like Skyrim and Ghost, while recording thegames, and edit them later with software like Sony Vegas. nodding is also a big part of my gaming that Linux Cant do like the Nexus mod manager for windows,

tm also learning C++ and need or really want good software for that like visual Studio.

Reactions: argedion
Upvote 0
I thought Skyrim was available via the Linux steam client?
Last time I looked on steam on my Linux computer, I didn't see it available for download. And to play it, I would really want it to work with Nexus Mod Manager to have all of my mods work with the game. Doing that manually would be a pest beyond explanation.
I'm not a gamer so I couldn't tell ya even where to start but there are several Linux users who are gamers maybe we can get blessed enough to have one stumble upon this thread.

I use it mostly for entertainment purposes and some productivity All the software I use is topnotch solid work.

If all the software I need and want is available then I would have no problem using Linux. I used it as my primary OS for a good few months, then I got into gaming and it wasn't able to do what I wanted. Maybe when Steam OS comes out, with other recording software, I'll fully make the switch. But til then, I am using Windows.

Upvote 0
Yes, there is great software, but Much of it is not Professionally made not much of a problem, but when it comes to gaming, Linux is just not there yet. I would love to play games like Skyrim and Ghost, while recording thegames, and edit them later with software like Sony Vegas. nodding is also a big part of my gaming that Linux Cant do like the Nexus mod manager for windows,

tm also learning C++ and need or really want good software for that like visual Studio.

Have you looked into installing the Windows version of the Steam client on linux? I've been able to play morrowind on linux.

As for writing C++ programs, if you really must use VS, you could run Windows in a VM. Otherwise, you can definitely find a good IDE on Linux. In fact, Eclipse and NetBeans both have C/C++ plugins available.

As for NMM, http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=28763

Upvote 0
Have you looked into installing the Windows version of the Steam client on linux? I've been able to play morrowind on linux.

As for writing C++ programs, if you really must use VS, you could run Windows in a VM. Otherwise, you can definitely find a good IDE on Linux. In fact, Eclipse and NetBeans both have C/C++ plugins available.

As for NMM, http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=28763

Okay maybe it is possible, but that not simplifying things for me, wine virtual Machines, Yes I Can do this, but it doesnt make things easier

I have a spare Computer that I will Use for Linux projects tall tinker around with that but for my main computer, I will Still Use windows

Upvote 0
Okay maybe it is possible, but that not simplifying things for me, wine virtual Machines, Yes I Can do this, but it doesnt make things easier

I have a spare Computer that I will Use for Linux projects tall tinker around with that but for my main computer, I will Still Use windows

There's a program called PlayOnLinux that can simplify the process. Just install it, launch it, click install and search for Steam. Once you select it, it will do all of the configuration (installing Wine, setting up Steam, etc) for you. Then you could back up your Steam games on whatever computer they're on and restore them on the Linux box.

Virtual machines are no different than setting up a new PC, honestly.

Upvote 0
I pretty much use Linux all the time now, apart from the odd occasion when I need MS OFfice because an Office 2007/2010 document won't play nicely with Libre Office, and for some Android development tools that aren't available on Linux (yet). My Laptop has a TPM and UEFI instead of BIOS, but I've opted for 'Legacy Boot' to run Linux. I know there's a signed Linux 'Shim loader' but I don't trust it as MS had to sign it and thy can revoke the signature at any time.

Upvote 0
Ya know, you can just disable secure boot without needing to go back to legacy mode to run Linux. Its quite capable of launching and installing in UEFI mode whilst not using nor needing the shim.

Still, even if they suddenly revoke the shim signature, there's no doubt the free software foundation, the EU, and the Linux community at large will probably blow their collective tops so loudly and so fast it may actually show up on mainstream news sites.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones