• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Selecting custom message tones?

marvinblue

Hi all. I have a Nexus S and its running 2.3.4. Is there any way to choose custom tones for messaging? I can only seem to be able to pick the default tones for messaging and calendar notifications. I have uploaded some sounds to my phone. I can play them through the music player, but I can't select them for messaging and notifications, just for my ring tone.

TIA!

Hi all. I have a Nexus S and its running 2.3.4. Is there any way to choose custom tones for messaging? I can only seem to be able to pick the default tones for messaging and calendar notifications. I have uploaded some sounds to my phone. I can play them through the music player, but I can't select them for messaging and notifications, just for my ring tone.

TIA!

You need to put your desired ringtones in the proper folders in the internal storage. The default location for ringtones is in /media/ringtones, the default for alarms is in /media/alarms, and the default for notifications is /media/notifications.

Or, you could just use RingDroid (link: https://market.android.com/details?id=com.ringdroid). It'll let you take a song/sound file on your phone, cut it down to size, and save it as a ringtone/alarm/notification.

You need to put your desired ringtones in the proper folders in the internal storage. The default location for ringtones is in /media/ringtones, the default for alarms is in /media/alarms, and the default for notifications is /media/notifications.

Or, you could just use RingDroid (link: https://market.android.com/details?id=com.ringdroid). It'll let you take a song/sound file on your phone, cut it down to size, and save it as a ringtone/alarm/notification.
Hi there! Thanks for the reply. Can you tell me where exactly these folders are located? I've done a search through explorer (with the phone connceted via usb), but I can't find them to drop the sounds into the right folders. I'll also download the app you recommended and give that a go.

Back
Top Bottom