• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Sending files for FREE via SMS!

smsmyfile

Beta-Testers needed for File via SMS sending software and service!

SMSMyFile is a free file-sending hosting service. It features a new and original concept of sending files via SMS to other mobile users.

THE ADVANTAGES:

- Send full-size pictures and videos, any type of data, audio, programs etc. to mobile or PC

- You dont need to set up an email connection and are not limited to MMS, Bluetooth or infrared connectivity restrictions

- Service is completely free of charge, the only costs are your regular carrier charges for SMS and data sending

- Supports all the latest Mobile platforms - Symbian, Windows Mobile, iPhone, Android, Palm Pre - WebOS, Blackberry, JAVA Mobile.

- Data can be sent as a link to recipient's email on PC and then downloaded at no cost

PLEASE NOTE:

- The uploads are currently limited to a maximum file-size of 10MB per upload

- The person receiving will be be charged only for data transfer, with no charge when using a WiFi connection

SMSMyFile service and client now free for all Android users!

I N S T A L L A T I O N:

Search for "smsmyfile" on Android market and install!

Thank you for testing our new application!

Any comments or suggestions are welcome!

SMSMyFile.com Dev Team

Great idea for an app. I have a Samsung Moment(Android 1.5). I got the following error:

Error occurred: com.android.smsmyfileclient.SMSMyFileClientException

Sounds pretty generic, so I'm not sure how much that will help you. But I got it after picking the file and contact, and sending the message with no text. It said it was sending for a few seconds and then the error popped up. I tried it with a video first, and then even a picture, and got the same message. So file size isn't the problem.

I got all those problems on Wifi. Then I switched to 3g, and it went right through. Then I switched back to Wifi, and it worked. So, I'm not really sure what the problem was, but I thought I'd let you know.

Anyways, I couple of feature requests for this:

1) The ability to cancel the upload, and maybe a progress bar, or even a notification that the upload is complete.

2) The ability to browse all files, not just the pics folder.

Hi simpat1zq,

Thank you for letting us know about this WiFi bug, we will fix it and post update ASAP. We will consider implementing cancel of upload, this make sense for larger files or if connection problem happens while upload process is running. Of course we will add support for the rest of folders in next releases. Thank you for involving in beta-testing of our software, we hope that together we will make this software suitable for all users.

Regards
SMSMyFile Dev Team

Great idea for an app. I have a Samsung Moment(Android 1.5). I got the following error:

Error occurred: com.android.smsmyfileclient.SMSMyFileClientException

Sounds pretty generic, so I'm not sure how much that will help you. But I got it after picking the file and contact, and sending the message with no text. It said it was sending for a few seconds and then the error popped up. I tried it with a video first, and then even a picture, and got the same message. So file size isn't the problem.

I got all those problems on Wifi. Then I switched to 3g, and it went right through. Then I switched back to Wifi, and it worked. So, I'm not really sure what the problem was, but I thought I'd let you know.

1) The ability to cancel the upload, and maybe a progress bar, or even a notification that the upload is complete.

I love the concept of this , I just need some explaining :)

So a sms is sent with a link? , The link is selected and whatever file was attached to the link is downloaded to the Recipient?

So that means the File attatched to the message is put on your server , Is that secure too??

Hi Carl,

So a sms is sent with a link?

Yes, SMS message to recepient is merged together with short link.

The link is selected and whatever file was attached to the link is downloaded to the Recipient?

Correct.

So that means the File attatched to the message is put on your server , Is that secure too??

Current security messures to protect user data is priority and this will be more improved in next versions.

File link is kept private, in next version, users will be able to register and have option to manage their sent files, they can delete and forward already uploaded files.

We are also considering to add multiple files selection but not in current version in order to avoid possible spam abuse.

Thank you for testing our app. Your comments, suggestions, bug-reports are welcomed!

Best Regards
SMSMyFile Dev Team

Thank you for your response , Just to make su aware the Links in your first and second post say they are both "Suspended":
Please contact the billing/support department as soon as possible.

So No-one can download the apk

Error occurred: com.android.smsmyfileclient.SMSMyFileClientExcepti on

Sounds pretty generic, so I'm not sure how much that will help you. But I got it after picking the file and contact, and sending the message with no text.

Server does not support uploads without text. But I'll check why our custom exceptions don't show text messages.

It said it was sending for a few seconds and then the error popped up. I tried it with a video first, and then even a picture, and got the same message. So file size isn't the problem.

Notification about completion already exists. There is continious progress window while uploading. Not sure whether Android allows monitoring of uploading of multipart entity. Will check that.

Mmm... as far as I understand, Android's standard API does not allow browsing all files. I'm using system APIs for file selector and that's all what we can achieve. But in next version I planned to allow browsing for all files. Anyway this version will come with current implementation of file selector. And we will post new versions to Android Market.

Best Regards
SMSMyFile Dev Team

SMSMyFile service and client now free for all Android users!

Installation:

Search for "smsmyfile" on Android market and install!

Thank you for using our service!

SMSMyFile Dev Team
SMSMyFile

Back
Top Bottom