• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Set first day of week to Sunday

gone_bush

Lurker
I recently installed Android 13 via the October update. Among the changes is to set the first day of the week to Monday. Previously, on my device it was Sunday - my preferred option.

I know that I can specify the first day of week in the Calendar app but I'd have to do that for every app.

Q: Is there a way of setting that system wide? (Yes, I've looked!)

I recently installed Android 13 via the October update. Among the changes is to set the first day of the week to Monday. Previously, on my device it was Sunday - my preferred option.

I know that I can specify the first day of week in the Calendar app but I'd have to do that for every app.

Q: Is there a way of setting that system wide? (Yes, I've looked!)
what phone do you have? what calendar app are you using?

and why are you blaming android? updates are more than just android. it is also from the manufacturer. they bake things into the updates as well.....so it will depend on what calendar app you are using.

i use google's calendar and if i have it on weekly, the first day is Sunday.

This is not about a specific calendar app - this is far more general.

I develop my own apps and use the DatePicker class. Prior to the update, the apps using that class showed Sunday as the first day of the week. Those apps haven't changed.

This is not about a specific calendar app - this is far more general.

I develop my own apps and use the DatePicker class. Prior to the update, the apps using that class showed Sunday as the first day of the week. Those apps haven't changed.
so this is more of a development question?

No - there should be a way of setting that option globally so that all apps are affected. I believe that it was available in a prior Android version, but I may be wrong.

No - there should be a way of setting that option globally so that all apps are affected. I believe that it was available in a prior Android version, but I may be wrong.
well both my samsung calendar and google's calendar both have the week starting at sunday......so i'm not sure what you are talking about. what apps are we talking about?

As I've already said, this is NOT about any given calendar app!

Examples of my apps that use the DatePicker class are: a tv guide that allows you to select the date to show; a weather app, ditto; and, yes, my own calendar app.

I could modify all affected apps but that's a pain in the blunt end.

As I said in my original post, I'm after a global solution.

I've not seen a global option for this. My phone's stock calendar app can set Saturday, Sunday, or Monday as the first day of the week. but other scheduling type apps I use, e.g. Outlook, they have their own setting option for first day of the week.

AFAIK Android 13 has only been fully released for Google Pixel devices so far, and others like Samsung are still on closed beta versions.

Why is Sunday considered the first day of a new week.

Work days are considered as Monday through Friday, with Saturday and Sunday being the weekend.

Seems appropriate that Monday is the start of a new week, and Sunday would thus, be the end of the previous week.

Why is Sunday considered the first day of a new week.

Work days are considered as Monday through Friday, with Saturday and Sunday being the weekend.

Seems appropriate that Monday is the start of a new week, and Sunday would thus, be the end of the previous week.

Where I am, Monday is always the first day of the week, and there's no arguments. :thumbsupdroid:
  • Monday 星期一 xīng qī yī...literally means "day 1"
  • Tuesday 星期二 xīng qī èr..."day 2"
  • Wednesday 星期三 xīng qī sān..."day 3"
....and so on.

The reason Sunday is the first day of the week is because the modern Gregorian calendar used in the west was developed in the 15th Century under the authority of Pope Gregory. The Bible instructs us to give our "firstfruits" - or the first & best we have - to the Lord, as He gave us His best. Sunday, the traditional Christian sabbath, was established as the first day of the week to give our first day to the Lord and start the week off right. It far pre-dates the modern Monday-Friday work week.

I've never had the need to note the first day of the week. Sunday is Sunday and Monday is Monday etc. I guess I'm missing the significance of denoting the starting and ending of a week. How does the beginning enter into anything? If I have something to schedule I place it on a given day. If it's a recurring event I mark it as such. I never reference the beginning of the week. It's the day of the week that I find pertinent.

The way I understand the reasoning behind which days are the begining of the week is due to the last day of the week.

It is biblical, and the difference is between Jews and Christians.

The Earth was created in 7 days according to scripture.
The 7th day of the week was to be the Sabbath, a day of rest.

The Jews use Saturday, and the Christians use Sunday.

There are certain sects (Seventh Day Adventist, for example) that vary on this.

Interestingly enough, the names of the days of the week are Pagan in origin.

http://mountzioncog.com/pagan-origin-days-of-the-week/

Back
Top Bottom