• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Set up to run OS from SD card

milestogo

Lurker
Hi Guys,

I want to run my os from my micro sd on my galaxy tab any ideas of how to do this? Sorry complete newb to this.

Thanks,

The whole Android OS? You can't, and why would you want to (slower, less reliable, and gains no space as the /system partition would still be using the same space on the device).

Or have I misunderstood what you mean?

Ah, right. Makes sense.

Unfortunately I don't know the answer. There was a project to run Ubuntu on phones, but it only supported certain devices and I'm not sure it's still going. Hopefully someone else will have some ideas.

http://androidforums.com/cdma-evo-3d-all-things-root/387978-ubuntu-linux-3vo.html

I did this a few years ago, excellent results. I also wrote a script to resize the working disk image so you won't get locked in by the original image size.

The trick is to have the loop device supported by the kernel.

I got my Linux image from XDA but if you Google enough, you'll not only find others, but the site that gives instructions on how to make your own.

See also - http://androlinux.com/android-ubuntu-development/how-to-install-ubuntu-on-android/

Snapshot of Linux, running on my phone with desktop on my Mac using VNC, while simultaneously running and using Android on the phone -

6006654631_77b5c4568e_z.jpg

More pictures and information in the two links.

Earlymon beat me to it.

You will not be able to install Linux natively on an Android tablet because of bootloader restrictions but since Android uses a Linux kernel, it is possible to run Ubuntu in a chroot environment and the file (which the loop device treats as a file system) can be stored on any device accessible to Android.

The OS runs fine but normally you can only access the GUI using VNC and VNC is horribly slow so don't expect it to fly.

Earlymon beat me to it.

You will not be able to install Linux natively on an Android tablet because of bootloader restrictions but since Android uses a Linux kernel, it is possible to run Ubuntu in a chroot environment and the file (which the loop device treats as a file system) can be stored on any device accessible to Android.

The OS runs fine but normally you can only access the GUI using VNC and VNC is horribly slow so don't expect it to fly.

Yeah, mine was not horribly slow, neither running the desktop on my phone or laptop.

I wouldn't try gaming on one but I edited documents and even pictures with gimp with acceptable results.

One thing I have been meaning to try for a while is accessing the Ubuntu on Android using an Android X Server, which ought to be much quicker than VNC. It's a shame there isn't a decent RDP server for Linux because RDP works far better than VNC. I have tried running both RDP and VNC clients on my Note 10.1 2014 connecting to another machine on my network and the RDP client was totally usable.

I might try this at the weekend if I get enough time. If I do, I'll report back.

One thing I should have mentioned is that the OP will need to have rooted his (I'm assuming you are male - your profile doesn't say) tablet and this means blowing the Knox fuse (boo hiss).

Back
Top Bottom