• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Severe battery drain Xperia Z1

carlos100

Lurker
I have a brand new Xperia Z1 that I have been using for less than a week and the battery life is beyond bad, beyond moaning that it should be better on a nmodern phone etc. It must be broken how bad the battery drain is on this thing.

I have come from a HTC One that during a day at work when I barely took it out of my pocket would have 70% battery remaining at least, to the Z1 with roughly the same apps and settings on having less than 25%. Something has gone horribly wrong.

Now I know most answers are going to say use stamina mode and disable this and disable that, but the phone should be able to run properly for a full day with very light use, I want to solve the problem, not bypass it.

So in my power usage stats the first odd thing hits me, everything I have ever seen has your screen as easily the biggest power use of your phone, but my Android OS is using over 3x as much??

And then looking at the usage graph, the drain is steady over the day but Wifi is being accessed all day, now I am connected all day and do have emails set to push, but is it usual to see this kind of usage of wifi? Is this where the battery is going?

Delving further into the data usage, Chrome has used 1.18Gb of background wifi data in a week and the Android OS 315Mb background data, these numbers both seem high but thankfully are not happening over mobile data, what is all this data being downloaded and is that killing the battery?

Or is the phone just screwed?

It could potentially be chrome that's causing the drain, but that would probably appear in the list of apps/processes in power management. Take a look at GSAM Battery monitor on Play, that would give you a better idea of what is causing the drain.

What's your screen on time?

Lithium batteries do tend to take a bit of time to work at full capacity so you may find it gets better over the next week or so.

I suspect it is some of the programs you installed that is constantly on and drains the battery. I use my phone moderately, and the lowest I have see the battery go in say a 16 hour period is 45% and this is because I was playing deer hunter like mad most of the day.

Download a,"Wavelock" app and see if there are some apps staying open when they shouldn't.Also as above the batteries need several good discharge and re-charge cycles.Let the battery drain to around 10% and then full charge around once a month.This is usually recommended in most Device instructions.
You can usually download a pdf of the manuals for you computer and they are worth a read from-time-to-time for hints and tips.

If you need a small,fast pdf reader for your PC I use Sumatra,

Free PDF Reader - Sumatra PDF

Also if an app has locked fully shutting down and re-booting can help.

HTH :)

It's probably a known issue with Google Play Services. It's been eating up my battery since I got KitKat. 60-75% battery use from GPS. This was provided to me from Sony Mobile support after talking to a LOT of clueless people at both Sony and surprisingly, Google.

1- Settings -> Apps -> All -> Google Play Services
2- Clear cache
3- Click Manage Space, then Clear all data
4- Back, disable, it will ask you to revert to older version, say YES
If you have Uninstall Updates, do it.
If it says you can

Back
Top Bottom