• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Sgh t399 Reset

johnnyo33

Lurker
Hi Guys, I have a quick question. I rooted my tmobile sgh t399. I was wondering if I do a fatory reset, if that will unroot the phone and bring it back to original. If it don't, is there a walkthrough posted anywhere to help me unroot the phone. Thanks for any help.

It won't, since a couple of files are system files, and resetting won't touch those. How you unroot depends on how you rooted. Some rooting programs have an unroot function. If you rooted by hand, su in adb and rm the files you pushed. (And prepare the Superuser app for removal and uninstall it.)

Using the method for one way of unrooting may or may not work if you used a different method to root. (Which is why it's always best to root by hand - you know what you did, so you know what to undo.)

And some unrooting methods do only that - remove root. They don't undo the changes they make to some system files (which the manufacturer can detect if the phone is going back for replacement). If all you're doing is unrooting to sell the phone, just uninstall all your rooted apps, prepare the superuser app for removal and uninstall it. (If you can, undo any changes you made while rooted - but most people don't keep a list of what they've done to the phone over the months.)

Thank you for the quick reply. I used the odin one click method. I also did a reset so super user is gone now but the phone like you said is still rooted. I just want the phone back to normal so I can use the tmobile wifi. Can you walk me through it and what recovery file do I need to load.
Thanks again for the help.

Shabbypenguin's root method flashes a root kernel. This means that doing a factory reset won't unroot. I honestly don't know if the stock kernel can be flashed back.

You could try the RootCloak Xposed module. If you don't know what Xposed is, you definitely need to look into it.

[FRAMEWORK ONLY!] Xposed - ROM modding without modifying APKs (2.5.1)(12.04.2014) - xda-developers

Installing the framework allows you to use different modules which are installed separately. Much of what can be done is focused on UI tweaks, but there's much, much more, and developers are discovering new things all the time that can be done.

RootCloak does exactly what it sounds like. On a per-app basis, it tricks the app into thinking your phone isn't rooted. I can't guarantee that it'll work on T-M's wifi calling, but it might.

Whether it works or not, have fun with Xposed. And you should absolutely play around with Wanam Xposed. Many, many tweaks for TouchWiz, both hardware and UI software.

Shabbypenguin,

My SGH-T399 is currently in a state where it will not update anything using ODIN. I have tried just going back to stock so i can start fresh - but odin just keeps saying failed after "SetupConnection.." is displayed for 10's of minutes

Do you have any thoughts on this?

Currently I am putting the unzipped SGH-T399-Stock-MJA file into the "PDA" field in the provided ODIN.. and it is just failing after about a half hour of sitting on "SetupConnection..."

Right now it is Rooted using your OdinExcution v1.81 for root.

But I cannot get unrooted.

Shabbypenguin,

My SGH-T399 is currently in a state where it will not update anything using ODIN. I have tried just going back to stock so i can start fresh - but odin just keeps saying failed after "SetupConnection.." is displayed for 10's of minutes

Do you have any thoughts on this?

Currently I am putting the unzipped SGH-T399-Stock-MJA file into the "PDA" field in the provided ODIN.. and it is just failing after about a half hour of sitting on "SetupConnection..."

Right now it is Rooted using your OdinExcution v1.81 for root.

But I cannot get unrooted.

try a different usb port, usb cable and if those dont work try some new drivers. it sounds crazy but some cables just dont have thje means to work with odin as well. dunno why :/

try a different usb port, usb cable and if those dont work try some new drivers. it sounds crazy but some cables just dont have thje means to work with odin as well. dunno why :/

I will give that a try.

Also, if it means anything - It is related to a PIT error (there is no PIT partition)..

Wow. That seemed to have fixed the PIT error. It is now doing what it needs to do. I dont know if it will correct my issue. But atleast the changing of drivers was my solution to one of my issues.

Thanks ShabbyPenguin!

unless you repartition the pit should never change, since odin pulls the pit from the phone before flashing it should be fine. until you click repartition and format your device.

unless you repartition the pit should never change, since odin pulls the pit from the phone before flashing it should be fine. until you click repartition and format your device.
So if I use ShabbyPenguin's one-click root, how exactly would I unroot? I'm still a bit confused? Just do the same steps with the the unrooted kernel? Thanks.

Thanks ShabbyPenguin, for making this root for us... Are the "Stock Files" the original files that are on the phones from the factory?

Anyone who can help me: Which files do I need to download? I have Build NO: JDQ39.T399UVUAMJ4

Also, Should I use the Root "One-Click", CWM Recovery, or the TWRP Recovery by Shabbypenguin? I'm also considering which would be safer and easier to unroot when necessary.

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom