• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Share what you have and have not figured out...

Organize your shortcuts by putting them into folders. If you go to the add and select Folder instead of widget or shortcut you get an option for a new folder or a live folder. Select new folder and you get an empty folder named folder. Tap the folder to open it. Tap and hold the white bar at the top of the folder to rename it. Go to add and place a shortcut on the desktop. Tap and hold the shortcut and move it on top of the folder and it will now be inside the folder. I don't know if the folder icon can be changed from the generic or not but this helps me organize my things the way I want them. As far as I know this only works with shortcuts and not widgets.

I did folders at first too, but I found something even better. Download Apps Organizer from the Market! This app lets you use any ICON as the folder image, and allows multiple tags for all your apps so they can appear in multiple folders! Also does backup and restore of its settings.

AppsOrg.png

Upvote 0
HTC Mail settings which I use for various hosts, and I hope I don't typo anything...

Yahoo! Mail
Protocol: IMAP
IMAP Server: imap.mail.yahoo.com
Security Type: None
Server Port: 143
Login required: <Checked>
SMTP server: smtp.mobile.mail.yahoo.com
Server Port: 25

HotMail
Protocol: POP
POP Server: pop3.live.com
Security Type: SSL
Server Port: 995
SMTP server: smtp.live.com
Security Type: TLS
Server Port: 587

AIM Mail
POP Server: imap.aim.com
Server Port: 143
SMTP server: smtp.aim.com
Server Port: 587

GMail
POP Server: imap.gmail.com
Server Port: 993
SMTP server: smtp.gmail.com
Server Port: 465

Comcast
Protocol: POP
POP Server: mail.comcast.net
Server Port: 995
SMTP server: smtp.comcast.net
Server Port: 465

Upvote 0
Simply go to the Market and press My downloads

I've also found the full page People widget to be a great alternative to speed dials.

thank you but I am not reffering to the market Items downloads, but my downloads from other sites (EX.myxer). When you download something new, it takes you to that screen with recenr downloads files..not android wigets and stuff).

Upvote 0
I use the following directories which should be obvious as to their use;

For notifications; /sdcard/media/audio/notifications
For alarms; /sdcard/media/audio/alarms
For ringtones; /sdcard/media/audio/ringtones

To 'make it mine', I used the Hero's Voice Recorder application and recorded my voice saying things like, 'Hey, you've got mail', 'Hey, you have an AOL Instant Message', 'Hey, you have an upcoming calendar event', 'Hey, you have a new Tweet', 'Hey sleepyhead, it's time to wake up', and stuff like that. Then I just used the Astro File Manager (or just mounted the SDCard on my PC), and then moved the stuff I recorded from the '/sdcard/.voicerecorder/voices' directory to the various SDCard directories above as applicable. BUT, I changed the filenames of the recordings since the Voice Recorder defaults the filenames to date and time. These recordings appear on the popup listings on the Hero so they are selectable to be assigned in the various notification, alarm, and ringtone settings.

Upvote 0
Then I just used the Astro File Manager (or just mounted the SDCard on my PC), and then moved the stuff I recorded from the '/sdcard/.voicerecorder/voices' directory to the various SDCard directories above as applicable. BUT, I changed the filenames of the recordings since the Voice Recorder defaults the filenames to date and time. These recordings appear on the popup listings on the Hero so they are selectable to be assigned in the various notification, alarm, and ringtone settings.

So you're saying the stock voice recorder records in MP3? If so, pretty nifty!

Upvote 0
Here's a link for a screenshot for the Mac.

Thanks, but i rooted the first day and now use ShootMe. When its running you just have to give the device a good shake, and will snap a screenshot.

i havent seen this mentioned , and i have a feeling everyone knows it , but a long press on the home button will bring up a task manager of sorts where you can quick switch between active applications. beats going to home screen and finding the app and opening it back up.

if its new to you, enjoy, if not, keep enjoying!

I think its more of a recent list, then a quick switch, as many times i find programs that arent running anymore in mine.

I did folders at first too, but I found something even better. Download Apps Organizer from the Market! This app lets you use any ICON as the folder image, and allows multiple tags for all your apps so they can appear in multiple folders! Also does backup and restore of its settings.

Nice find, thank you!

Upvote 0
can i choose what music should appear in the music player, i don't want it all show up in the player, including all the doom's sound files ... *boom*

Create an empty file named ".nomedia" ( Thats dot+nomedia ) and place it in any directory you don't want added to your music player. You may need to create the file on your PC and drag it over to your Hero.

Upvote 0
If I delete an email from hotmail,Yahoo!,etc, on my phone, how do I set it up to delete the email from the server? My phone keeps redownloading previously deleted email....and I don't want to have to delete emails in more than one place.

I believe there is an option within the menu of the mail program to "delete on server"

Upvote 0
Why is it that it asks me which task I want.. I choose it, and then when I go to pick my contact it still gives me all the choices (call, text, email). the only time my quick call works is when I go to the phone list and type in their name. Not one sprint rep has answered this question for me...does it just not work?

make those people shortcuts on one of your screens.. it is the easiest way to have a quick contact with whichever function you want. Favorites will ask which function you want, but it does not work.
hit the '+' /shortcut/person/pick a person/pick default action

I just have one page set up like this but my husband on my first home page.

Upvote 0
about the music tag:::
what encoding system are actually implemented in android?
i had tried a hk localized the rom which displayed all my music names and art correctly (i.e. japan, chinese, etc.), but later on i flashed my droid to a english rom, they didn't work anymore, i copied the fonts over, so it's not a font issue.

Upvote 0
Well, here is an idea for knowing which mailbox in HTC Mail has unread email in it.

If you don't have notifications setup for every mailbox in HTC Mail, or you dismissed the notification for new email in the notification bar for one of your various HTC Mail accounts, there is no way to know which HTC Mail account has unread email in it when you launch HTC Mail.

So, to only use up one ICON on the desktop, create an Android Folder and name it 'Email' or something. Then, one by one, add each of your HTC Mail mailbox's to the desktop using 'Shortcut/Mail Inbox' and place all these mailbox shortcuts inside your new desktop 'Email' folder. WALLA!

Upvote 0
My folders seem to be listed in a very random order. Has anyone figured out how to get them to sort alphabetically? With 15 or more folders, I am constantly looking around for the right folder.

yes, this is annoying. I'd also like to see a default sub-folder option instead of defaulting to the inbox. nothing but junk in my inbox, all the messages I need are in one or two sub folders.

Upvote 0
I can't figure out how to configure the phone to connect with my wife's work email. They use Novell GroupWise 7.0. She typically remote logs in through a web app, which will load, but the formatting is beyond usable.

Any suggestions?
Thanks

Ask your wife's IT department to look at the new "Novell Data Synchronizer Mobility Pack" solution from Novell. This will allow the current ActiveSync client technology built into most smart phones (iPhone, Android, etc) to sync to Novell GroupWise 8 and >. Your wife's IT department can test this today in their test lab to an Android based phone and many other smart phones - see http://www.novell.com/promo/data_synchronizer.html

Once they get this installed, you can use the built in Android Corporate Email APP and Corporate Calendar APP in your DROID phone to connect to your corporate GroupWise 8 backend using the ActiveSync protocol. Steps to get this to work are outlined at http://gwguruman.fileave.com/DROID%20Setup%20-%20Novell%20Data%20Synchronizer%20 Mobility%20Pack.pdf

Reactions: dmm5157
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones