• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Shootout - M9 vs G4

OK, until the M9 won for storage by supporting up to 2 TB SD cards.

I hate the LG webmonkeys that started this with the G3 prerelease - that was the first device to ever ridiculously claim the SD controller limit, 2 TB, as the phone limit.

2 TB is equivalent to sixteen 128 GB cards (biggest made in this class to date). It may be in our future but we won't be using phones like this when they happen. :D

Storage - tie, not M9 winner, the G4 uses the exact same controller technology.

Software - here's where I hate comparison articles, it's impossible to choose a winner in this field unless one offering is defective - it's just too subjective. I say this not because the G4 "won" but because it's true.

Otherwise, interesting article. :)

Reactions: codesplice
Upvote 0
OK, until the M9 won for storage by supporting up to 2 TB SD cards.

I hate the LG webmonkeys that started this with the G3 prerelease - that was the first device to ever ridiculously claim the SD controller limit, 2 TB, as the phone limit.

2 TB is equivalent to sixteen 128 GB cards (biggest made in this class to date). It may be in our future but we won't be using phones like this when they happen. :D

Storage - tie, not M9 winner, the G4 uses the exact same controller technology.

Software - here's where I hate comparison articles, it's impossible to choose a winner in this field unless one offering is defective - it's just too subjective. I say this not because the G4 "won" but because it's true.

Otherwise, interesting article. :)

Here's from the ZDNET Review of the G4 "
  • Storage: 32 GB internal with microSD expansion option, supporting up to 2TB cards"

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
Here's from the ZDNET Review of the G4 "
  • Storage: 32 GB internal with microSD expansion option, supporting up to 2TB cards"
Yeah, but it's part of the meaningless specs arms race.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Digital#SDXC

SD card data is basically a two pin affair.

Going from microSD to microSDHC to microSDXC is a matter of timing and control signals.

Anything that supports a 64 GB sd card, even from 2012, is SDXC and therefore already supports up to 2 TB.

That's pretty much everything since 2011 or 12 and later.

In 2009 or 2010 you might have cared about the upper limit and been concerned about SDHC support (even if no one was making clear that was the demarcation line).

Today any decent, name brand, non-bargain device has an SDXC controller, so it supports any SDXC card - even the theoretical 2 TB cards that don't exist yet. ;) :)

SD card capacity above 64 GB is totally a non-specification - and only matters to the marketing department.

It's like saying - Our screen outputs photons!

Or - Our speakers generate audio-frequency waves!

It's true but so what.

It's a modern name brand that's decent that has an SD card slot - like photons and audio waves, of course it goes to the theoretical limit of 2 TB. :D ;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones