• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Should i root my desire?

jason-567

Simple question, i want to root my desire but there are a few things i am worried about,
1. How easy would it be to uninstall and install things, ive installed voice to text and found that a doddle is it a similar process??
2. how easy is it to root, i.e. what will i have to do?
3. i know it voids my warranty but im not botherd by that as my phone is insured through my bank and obviously they don't have a fooking clue about phones

OK, was not being abrupt; check the "all things root" thread, the guides are linked there. Read different ones, some are clearer than others (lekky's is very good), read them again, make sure you understand, then follow each step and it should be easy... If you have a branded desire then it is a little more complex, needing a goldcard, but otherwise...

ok i had a look i have 2 questions about lekkys, how do i find out if i have a branded phone without a spare sim, do i need 2 cards for a goldcard or can i use the one in my phone??

Goldcard should only be necessary if branded. But, there have been reports of some needing it. i didn't.
You are branded if you have some kind of carrier symbol on boot splash screen (eg o2, Vodafone) and/or branded icons (eg webnwalk instead of internet)

ok good i dont have to wait till tomorow then to buy an sd card and i am not branded so i guess ill have a fun night doing this tonight :D

You shoud be cool, no worries. Just make sure you check yourself at every step; I made plenty mistakes :-)

Alright, looks like the right thread for me to ask a few questions..;)
I'm considering rooting and installing Froyo on mine, mainly because of the small annoyances I'm facing, like and delivery reports and contact names not staying updated etc.
How do I know which rom to go for? There are so many of them there that i'm well and truly confused and put off upgrading just because of that.
Help!

I am really considering doing this too, I have an unbranded phone on the Three uk network. I am just wondering what guide to follow as I believe I dont need to use a goldcard ?? Basically I just want to bang 2.2 froyo on and have a go, I take it I could just unroot and then apply the official froyo update via the htc site once it is released ?

I have just checked my phone and it says that my bootloader is 0.80, can anyone point me in the right direction of a foolproofish guide to getting my unbranded phone onto froyo ?

ok i am getting this message
"the rom update utillity cannot update your android phone,
please get the correct rom update utility and try again"
when runing test ruu

Back
Top Bottom