• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Should I stay with Sprint or go to T-Mobile?

AT1988

May 24, 2011
I used to be on my dad's ATT plan, but he suspended the account and nixed my unlimited data and I moved to Sprint. Now I kind of have buyers remorse because they embed their SIM cards, get terrible signal inside buildings (being a non VZ CDMA carrier) unless you're right next to a window, and have a slow 3G network, and are taking forever to get LTE up. VZ is not an option, its too expensive, altho its by far the best network. I'm thinking of going to T-Mobile, because their 3G is HSPA+, which is kind of 4G, and LTE gets bad battery life anyway. They also have unlimited data, and I feel like even if I got to the point of throttling, it might STILL be faster than Sprint. I also like the idea of GSM too. But T-Mobile is going under and I wanna know more about their service.

I'm in Eastern LI right now, and probably will be in NYC later this year. I do still own a Photon, which I could use for overseas if Sprint doesn't update their GS3 like Verizon will, but I don't wanna bother owning 2 phones. Helpppp!

I pretty much just dumped verizon for AT&T. Seriously. I have not done so 100% but I have a brand new one x on the charger right now. A few reasons for this, I am on a fringe area, the phones on verizons network don't really do it for me, the galaxy nexus and perhaps there network as I ran across something that kind of confirmed my thinking about their CDMA network (The Radio Performance Disparity of the Galaxy Nexus on GSM and CDMA - Mobile Central - Binary Outcast)

Personally, in your shoes, I think I would go with t-mobile. I don't follow them well enough to know if they are "going under" but I do know some of their phones can be used for calling over wifi, which eliminates the need for a network extender. I may need to buy one from at&t for downstairs as I have done for verizon, so thats about 300 bucks right there unless I can find one on sale.

Also, yeah, verizon may have a larger 4g network, but to me, if the blasted phone can't stay connected to it, then what good is that? GSM, I believe, has a larger coverage. From what I can surmise, LTE has crappy penetration anyway.

I know t-mobile is a bit more expensive at least hardware wise and returns are 50 bucks but it may be worth checking out.

Heck, buy a HSPA+ nexus, no contract, for 350 bucks and shove either AT&Ts or t-mobiles sim card in the thing and go. I would have done the same, but my nexus was driving me nuts.

I heard sprint don't have a very good network.

Reactions: Speed Daemon
Upvote 0
I used to be on my dad's ATT plan, but he suspended the account and nixed my unlimited data and I moved to Sprint. Now I kind of have buyers remorse because they embed their SIM cards, get terrible signal inside buildings (being a non VZ CDMA carrier) unless you're right next to a window, and have a slow 3G network, and are taking forever to get LTE up. VZ is not an option, its too expensive, altho its by far the best network. I'm thinking of going to T-Mobile, because their 3G is HSPA+, which is kind of 4G, and LTE gets bad battery life anyway. They also have unlimited data, and I feel like even if I got to the point of throttling, it might STILL be faster than Sprint. I also like the idea of GSM too. But T-Mobile is going under and I wanna know more about their service.

I'm in Eastern LI right now, and probably will be in NYC later this year. I do still own a Photon, which I could use for overseas if Sprint doesn't update their GS3 like Verizon will, but I don't wanna bother owning 2 phones. Helpppp!

Eastern LI as in deep inside Suffolk County? I'm in Nassau County and have no issues with Sprint whatsoever. However, go with whichever provider will have better coverage in your most frequently traveled areas. That's the smartest thing to do, at least imo.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
Eastern LI as in deep inside Suffolk County? I'm in Nassau County and have no issues with Sprint whatsoever. However, go with whichever provider will have better coverage in your most frequently traveled areas. That's the smartest thing to do, at least imo.

yea, Riverhead right now. As soon as I enter a building, it goes down to 2-1 bars or roaming. I still have a week to return my Galaxy S3, for which I paid full price, use some of that money for the ETF, and then hack my Photon for GSM and go T-Mobile. ****, Sprint tried to charge me an activation fee for buying a new phone outright. You gotta be kidding me.

Lack of a global-capable Galaxy S3 is a huge turnoff. The Photon on CDMA doesn't have SVDO, and I don't want a QWERTY like the Photon Q has.

Upvote 0
yea, Riverhead right now. As soon as I enter a building, it goes down to 2-1 bars or roaming. I still have a week to return my Galaxy S3, for which I paid full price, use some of that money for the ETF, and then hack my Photon for GSM and go T-Mobile. ****, Sprint tried to charge me an activation fee for buying a new phone outright. You gotta be kidding me.

Lack of a global-capable Galaxy S3 is a huge turnoff. The Photon on CDMA doesn't have SVDO, and I don't want a QWERTY like the Photon Q has.

You could very likely argue your way out of your Sprint contract if you just opened it for the SGS3. Honestly, you'd be better off just getting a device that naturally runs on GSM as opposed to hacking the Photon to run on it.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
I think I'm gonna enjoy fast internet speeds, being able to get emails while I'm on the phone or receive calls when I browse (instead of missing them), and actually getting a signal. Peace!
I hear you, brother! I'm staying at my mom's retirement community, which has been a black hole for all Sprint service. I can't get enough of a signal to set the weather app, much less make a call in this whole area. After 7 years of no change on something so basic, and TERRIBLE airave support, I'm done with Sprint too.

Life is too short to waste it waiting for promised tomorrows that never come.

Reactions: AT1988
Upvote 0
I think I'm gonna enjoy fast internet speeds, being able to get emails while I'm on the phone or receive calls when I browse (instead of missing them), and actually getting a signal. Peace!

More power to you. Kudos to making a change.

I hear you, brother! I'm staying at my mom's retirement community, which has been a black hole for all Sprint service. I can't get enough of a signal to set the weather app, much less make a call in this whole area. After 7 years of no change on something so basic, and TERRIBLE airave support, I'm done with Sprint too.

Just out of curiosity.. what were you promised?

Upvote 0

Especially considering Sprint is gonna run out of money with its huge debt, which will cripple its LTE aspirations, and drive churn further. Sooner or later T-Mobile USA will offer the iPhone and all of Sprint's advantages will die. T-Mobile has more spectrum than Sprint anyway.

Upvote 0
Especially considering Sprint is gonna run out of money with its huge debt, which will cripple its LTE aspirations, and drive churn further. Sooner or later T-Mobile USA will offer the iPhone and all of Sprint's advantages will die. T-Mobile has more spectrum than Sprint anyway.

Lol, what crack are you smoking that (falsely) informed you that TMo-US has more spectrum than Sprint? On the contrary, Sprint has the most available spectrum in comparison to any of the major US providers.

I also want to know how you assumed that Sprint will run out of money. Stock futures are showing Sprint on the heavy upside for the foreseeable future. Increase of 20% in investment. Sprint isn't going anywhere, man.

Reactions: ravenas and ocnbrze
Upvote 0
Lol, what crack are you smoking that (falsely) informed you that TMo-US has more spectrum than Sprint? On the contrary, Sprint has the most available spectrum in comparison to any of the major US providers.

I also want to know how you assumed that Sprint will run out of money. Stock futures are showing Sprint on the heavy upside for the foreseeable future. Increase of 20% in investment. Sprint isn't going anywhere, man.

T-Mobile just got spectrum from Verizon in a deal and got some from ATT following the failed acquisition. Thing about Sprint's stock is that the company is so leveraged that even a minor economic slowdown could halt LTE in its tracks, they gotta get Nextel down, they're shutting down Wi-Max in 2015, its very speculative with them.

Upvote 0
T-Mobile just got spectrum from Verizon in a deal and got some from ATT following the failed acquisition. Thing about Sprint's stock is that the company is so leveraged that even a minor economic slowdown could halt LTE in its tracks, they gotta get Nextel down, they're shutting down Wi-Max in 2015, its very speculative with them.

What's your point? Sprint still has more available spectrum than T-Mobile, AT&T, and Verizon. When all is said and done, Sprint and Verizon's footprints should match up evenly, which will make them a formidable force again. I have no issues with you leaving due to your displeasure with the services provided, but you shouldn't come back as a sour puss spreading your blasphemous propaganda.

I for one have never had any issues with Sprint and their services since I signed that initial contract 7 years ago. I have seen what Sprint looked like pre-Hesse, and it wasn't pretty. In any event, I love the direction that Sprint is heading to - and I'm more than proud to say that I'll be witnessing and taking advantage of a brand spanking new network becoming active with unlimited data (for the foreseeable future).

Upvote 0
What's your point? Sprint still has more available spectrum than T-Mobile, AT&T, and Verizon. When all is said and done, Sprint and Verizon's footprints should match up evenly, which will make them a formidable force again. I have no issues with you leaving due to your displeasure with the services provided, but you shouldn't come back as a sour puss spreading your blasphemous propaganda.

I for one have never had any issues with Sprint and their services since I signed that initial contract 7 years ago. I have seen what Sprint looked like pre-Hesse, and it wasn't pretty. In any event, I love the direction that Sprint is heading to - and I'm more than proud to say that I'll be witnessing and taking advantage of a brand spanking new network becoming active with unlimited data (for the foreseeable future).
I hope their LTE is faster than their "Wi-Max"
7742537090_7589af3016.jpg
(that was in Bridgeport near the ferry where there is Wi-Max.)

Honestly, given that Sprint tried to charge me a hidden $36 "upgrade" fee when I bought a GS3 OUTRIGHT at $549.99, and charges 100 buck deductible for lost/stolen, it wouldn't surprise me if they end "unlimited" data.

Sprint needs to become profitable before they become "formidable."

Upvote 0
Just switched today, and not only did T-Mobile waive my activation fee, even when this phone gets 2 bars its better speeds and reception than Sprint on 3, and I haven't roamed once, even deep into stores! I'm now a proud member of the Sprint Churn club. BTW has anyone seen how small Sprint's NATIVE network is compared to the others, including T-Mobile? Plus this GS3 gets a battery life, unlike my Sprint one, which would go from 100 to 75 in 20 mins thanks to CDMA battery life hurting when signal is poor. Plus I love my SIM card too.

Upvote 0
Initial testing of Sprint's LTE network in Boston and San Francisco are very suspect. Topping out at about 8-9Mbps up and 5-6Mbps down. I hope they can get it higher before the actual launch, but once you have network saturation (and I've definitely seen this with Verizon), speeds are only going to go down.
Source: http://www.engadget.com/2012/08/11/mobile-miscellany-week-of-august-6th-2012/

Upvote 0
Sprint is a scam.

Oh my goodness! We all got your point now. Sprint sucks and yadda yadda yadda.

Just enjoy your T-Mobile service and don't give Sprint a 2nd thought.

I, on the had, was a T-mobile churner. I left T-Mobile for Sprint because Sprint has a bigger footprint. There were some areas in FL that had Sprint 3G but T-Mobile was on Edge and that happened a lot.

I say all that to say, with any carrier, YMMV.

Upvote 0

the Sprint "footprint" is mostly due to the Verizon roaming agreement. If you ever saw Sprint's native network, its tiny, especially for 140/month for a smartphone unlimited data/texts/mins (that price includes tax/fee/"premium data". Sprint will ever get to Verizon's level: when the iPhone 5 flounders on Sprint because it won't be 4G on Sprint like it will be on ATT/Verizon, it will cripple Sprint, and they'll be back to where they were before they got the iPhone.

Upvote 0
I hope their LTE is faster than their "Wi-Max"
7742537090_7589af3016.jpg
(that was in Bridgeport near the ferry where there is Wi-Max.)

Honestly, given that Sprint tried to charge me a hidden $36 "upgrade" fee when I bought a GS3 OUTRIGHT at $549.99, and charges 100 buck deductible for lost/stolen, it wouldn't surprise me if they end "unlimited" data.

Sprint needs to become profitable before they become "formidable."

Wait, you used a Galaxy S3 on Sprint? You do realize the S3 only has a 3G/LTE radio. It doesn't have Wimax at all. The S2 has 3G/Wimax. What you were testing was 3G. So your assessment isn't even accurate.

On Wimax, speeds are in the 6-8mbps range. LTE speeds in the launch cities (Kansas City, Houston, etc.) are clocking in at 20-25mbps.

Right now Sprint is in the midst of a major network upgrade. That will run through the next year. 3G speeds have gotten very wonky in the process. I'm feeling the pain too. I gave up my Wimax S2 for a future-proof S3. LTE gets switched on in my area end of this month. In the meantime, I'm suffering with crappy 3G speeds (500kbps). My bet is that I'll end up getting better service and paying less as a reward for my patience. I don't lose voice or texting abilities, just the full multimedia immersion.

On the flip side I blew through my T-Mobile cap in one day when the Photobucket app stupidly tried uploading all the video on my phone. Now I've been reduced to Edge speeds (which clock in at an unusable 15kbps) until the clock resets. Still better than suffering an overage fee from Verizon, I guess.

Reactions: Rxpert83
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones