• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Should I update to ICS?

mountainlover

Android Enthusiast
My phone hasn't been working well lately. I can't get online half the time anymore and facebook rarely ever works. I thought about updating but I'm reading about problems with it on here. Should I live with the issues I've been having lately or try the update to see if it helps?

How do I factory reset? Will I lose my contacts?

No, you should have them backed up in your gmail which you'll sign into after you factory reset. I think factory reset on an htc is menu>settings>storage if I remember correctly from my Incredible days. If not someone else will lead you in the right direction im sure heh.

I tried to update and it said it was, but when I checked on it later it said download failed. Now when I try "check for update" it doesn't do anything at all. :mad: You think it's because of the trouble I'm having staying connected?

My phone hasn't been working well lately. I can't get online half the time anymore and facebook rarely ever works. I thought about updating but I'm reading about problems with it on here. Should I live with the issues I've been having lately or try the update to see if it helps?

I too was having various problems, so I did the factory reset, prior to ICS coming out. Then I updated & went through the rapid battery drain and heat issues. After reading other posts here, I did the factory reset again and it really seemed to fix everything!
You will find it in settings>storage, scroll all the way down the menu and you'll see factory reset.
I believe this will fix your phone!

I was finally able to download it. I have not done a factory reset yet because it's already working much better than before. Is it still necessary?

I was finally able to download it. I have not done a factory reset yet because it's already working much better than before. Is it still necessary?

A factory reset isn't needed if your phone is working well. If you do, it will take a long time to get it back to how you had it before. There are some apps out there to help speed up the process, but anyway you slice it, it is a pain.

ICS is worth the upgrade. Everything runs noticably faster than Gingerbread. Some improvements to the camera and browser, among other things.

If it were me I would pass. Since the update and 2 factory resets "most" of my problems have been fixed. Big picture for me is that the enhancements were irrelevant and my battery drain is still significant. So for me the bottom line has been that I got a couple of minor polishes and I lost a lot of control and a good deal of battery time. In a practical sense this update was a downgrade. YMMV.

I've had zero problems since the upgrade. battery life is about the same, maybe a little bit better.

I did not do a reset as there haven't been any problems

Same here.. Did upgrade to ICS but no factory reset..so far all seems OK..other than the fact they flipped OK and cancel on all screens..CRAZY!

Same here.. Did upgrade to ICS but no factory reset..so far all seems OK..other than the fact they flipped OK and cancel on all screens..CRAZY!

Yeah that ticked me off. Years of training have taught me to expect left side is green/accept call, right side is red/decline. I have hung up several ppl by accident since the OTA. Not sure what they were thinking.

Back
Top Bottom