• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help should I update?

pcdebb

Android Enthusiast
for the last couple of days I've been getting a constant popup to update my phone. I'm rooted and dont want to lose that (I depend on wireless tether). will it be able to update being rooted? will I be able to re-root after update? Is the update even worth it? Unless it improves battery life I dont know if I want to.

I know i'm asking alot, I've been inundated with things at home and now I have a phone that is bugging me for the update :(

Thanks for the reply. I'll start looking for any new roots before updating.

Is there a way to turn off the nag until I'm ready to update? I know what's gonna happen.....I'm gonna accidentally click "update now" :o

So I decided to go ahead and update and put the phone on the table. Five minutes later I see some text, ending with the update being aborted. Phone rebooted, back to my usual screen. Didn't update, tried to search for update, it says I'm up to date, however its still 2.1/eclair.

I thInk I'll leave well enough alone for now......

That is odd, however I would think twice about updating, I did the update and when the phone restarted the first thing to crash was gmail... I am not a huge fan of the stability of froyo, the UI is slightly better (don't love the iphoneish messaging though)

yea, i dunno. it hasnt nagged me about updating anymore so i'm not worried. I'm not too concerned about what froyo offers IMO. the only reason I was interested is to see if my battery life improved. i kinda liked the iphone-ish messaging when i was using handcent but that's not important to me at all.

qik seems to have reappeared on the phone tho, and i could swear I removed it.

yea, i dunno. it hasnt nagged me about updating anymore so i'm not worried. I'm not too concerned about what froyo offers IMO. the only reason I was interested is to see if my battery life improved. i kinda liked the iphone-ish messaging when i was using handcent but that's not important to me at all.

qik seems to have reappeared on the phone tho, and i could swear I removed it.

If you were rooted you could have removed it. and now it's back again. Is the phone still rooted?

That is odd, however I would think twice about updating, I did the update and when the phone restarted the first thing to crash was gmail... I am not a huge fan of the stability of froyo, the UI is slightly better (don't love the iphoneish messaging though)

same thing happened to me...gmail..browser and app market was crashing constantly..wifi keeps getin skrewed too..
also home screen buttons changed..i liked tha fact that fone,messagin home and app butrons were there...now im stuk wit app button??wtf

yes, i am still rooted. I am still using wireless tether.

I'm having other wierdness tho. Yesterday I could swear I was losing battery while it was charging, but then maybe I just wasnt reading right. Today I saw it go from 58% to 57% while plugged in in the car. I looked at battery stats and thought it was odd, so I did a quick reboot. 2 minutes later, I'm at 19% :confused: I only made one phonecall before reaching 58% and that didn't take long to get there.

starting to get annoyed with this phone. and samsung.

Attachments

• wtfphone2.jpg
    wtfphone2.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 43
oh yea, and gmail push notifications arent coming thru all the time. i'm still rooted, not updated, but screwed.

Back
Top Bottom