• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Should I upgrade 4.4.4 to 5.1 or wait?

Just got the ballistic nylon turbo. It's currently running KK 4.4.4 with system version 21.44.12. The lollipop update is waiting in the system update to version 5.1, system version 23.11.39. Do you think it's safe to say most bugs are worked out? I'd hate to upgrade and regret it. I'm fine with using lollipop. I actually came from the HTC One running 5.0.2. Is there a big change with notifications in Moto Display? I like that I can press the round icon notification on the lock screen for email, text, whatever and see a sample of the message. KitKat is a pretty solid version and if I don't see any real benefits to upgrading I might hold off. Any thoughts??

Welcome to Android Forums ant the Droid Turbo (my all time favorite phone).

23.11.39 is very stable.

There are changes in 4.4.4 to 5.1 in Notifications and Security. These are imposed everywhere.

For screen lock I use None and have very limited exposure to what is on the lock screen when the Turbo is locked. I do know that there is now an option to control display of notifications. It appears that you have to enter the key to open the notification.

... Thom

I was very reluctant to install the latest update to 5.1 but am now pleased I did so. I did the install but did not do an FDR, only cleared cache. Far more stable than 4.44 in my opinion.

Thanks for the replies. Do you notice any improvement with battery life in lollipop? I'm only seeing 18-22 hours between charges with average usage which honestly is still better than any previous phone I've had, but thought it would be better.

My initial reaction to your question was absolutely there was an increase in battery life. Then I remembered that at virtually the same time the update came out we also received a major hardware upgrade on the site with the addition of 4G. Now that I thinking about it it may not have been the update. We are very rural with many 'holes' in our coverage. At the end of a typical day I'm at about 72 to 75%. Hope this helps...

I'm still on kitkat and won't change til M comes out. BTW, I stumbled across this by accident...wifi connection makes a big difference in battery life too. When I'm using wifi, it can be great and it can be not so great batt life (around 36hrs avg), just depends on the strength of the wifi signal, and if it searches for signal. When I shut my wifi off and stay on 4g, I get terrific batt life, sometimes over 2.5 days. If either signal is reduced, wifi or 4g, then batt life goes down quick.

Back
Top Bottom