• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Should I wait till 4g phones are out? Verizon question

subaruzi

I am about to break down and start giving Verizon an additional $30/month. I am thinking I am going with the Droid X (I would like to do the buy one/get one) but am hesitant because of the "4g" switchover. Does it make sense to wait until there are phones made specifically for the network? I read somewhere on here that the data will increase in price for 4g too.

Any guidance is appreciated. Thank you.

Also, what is the best protective case for someone who drops his phone all the time?

I would say the body glove is the toughest I have seen. As far as waiting....that's up to you. The 4g pricing on phones hasn't been released to my knowledge. The fascinate is a dandy phone. It has its issues, but so does every other phonw out there. Jmo

Bob

You might want to wait. 4G phones will start being shipped soon, not to mention the dual-core processor models. Also, there's the iPhone rumors. And we've got no hints yet at 4G data pricing for smartphones.

Oh and for cases? Otterbox.

What are the iPhone rumors? I expect to get an Android regardless of the iPhone. I am intrigued with the dual core though. We talking February or March? Or 2H11?

I debated this same question. I went ahead and got an Incredible for a great price. I can always do an annual upgrade next November and get whatever is new at the time.

How broad is LTE coverage in your area/market? Keep in mind that if you leave LTE coverage you will drop down to EVDO (a dramatically slower network technology). Also, the first wave of LTE ("4G") handsets are likely to have battery life issues and problems with network handoffs (going from LTE to EVDO and back again). I'm actually an AT&T user but the same issues will apply to me (except the speed drop). 3rd Generation (3G) handsets will only get cheaper as the first wave of 4G handsets hit the market. I plan on waiting for some of what are now the top tier 3G handsets to come down and price, buying one and allowing time for 4G/LTE networks to build out and handset technology to stabalize.

No idea what case to suggest. :rolleyes:

LTE battery life will be about the same as 3g battery life. Just understand that you will be using the internet more. But the apps and how the phone is setup is what will kill your battery. A 1001 background apps all running, sucking down the battery. But the actual power to the 3g, lte, and wimax radios are about the same, lte and wimax actually using less. So it will depend on how much you use them.

LTE battery life will be about the same as 3g battery life. Just understand that you will be using the internet more. But the apps and how the phone is setup is what will kill your battery. A 1001 background apps all running, sucking down the battery. But the actual power to the 3g, lte, and wimax radios are about the same, lte and wimax actually using less. So it will depend on how much you use them.

Right but people who buy a car with a V6 over a 4 cylinder tend to change their driving habits because the power and handling are available (if you go it - and paid for it - why not use it?). So sure, in a vacuum battery consumption is the same but in the real world consumers will run 1001 apps in the background (nice number btw :)). So my statement was an oversimplification but the end result, absent throttling back, is likely to be shorter battery life. That's all I meant.

My son has Sprint, when he upgraded from a Hero to an EVO, Sprint said that purchasing a 4G phone will increase his monthy rate by $10. FWIW

I drop my phone all the time and I don't use a case at all. It still works fine. On the R2D2D2 and the D2, the little chrome piece that surrounds the screen gets cut up pretty easily, but the rest of the phone is metal and Gorilla Glass. It's just fine and the screen is as nice as it always was.

Back
Top Bottom