• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
It's due somewhere between now and May according to what I've read.

EDIT
Correction, I've just read on the Sky website that:
"Given the high level of consumer demand, I’m pleased to today be able to announce two very significant developments to Sky Go that will be rolling out over the next month. Firstly, we will be making Sky Go available on a selection of Android smartphones starting with Samsung Galaxy and HTC handsets. We fully appreciate how much Android users have been looking forward to the launch of Sky Go, and we’ve done everything we can to make sure that our bespoke design for Android handsets is worth waiting for."

So, as that statement was released 31st January it'll be some time this month.

Upvote 0
its pathetic they haven't increased the number of registered devices allowed. Been waiting ages for sky go on android, it eventually arrives and i find i have to decide whether i want to remove my laptop as a registered device just to be able to use it on the phone.

They offer it on pc/xbox/iphone/ipad/android phones/android tablets/ And you are only allowed to choose two of them to use? Pathetic!

Upvote 0
I downloaded it this afternoon - works really well.

I can understand the 2 devices limit though - you could easily pass your username and password to all of your chums, and essentially give them a (limited) sky subscription for nothing.

In fact, I am moderately surprised this is a free service....but will not be surprised if it is not free, sometime soon.

Upvote 0

I can understand the 2 devices limit though - you could easily pass your username and password to all of your chums, and essentially give them a (limited) sky subscription for nothing.

In fact, I am moderately surprised this is a free service....but will not be surprised if it is not free, sometime soon.

Do you work for Sky? lol

Upvote 0

it used to be 5 devices allowed, They dropped it to two after they renamed it from skyplayer to sky go. This was a little after making it available on xbox. Dropping it to two after increasing the number of devices you can use skygo on was a pathetic move.

Upvote 0
Seems the guys over at xda are getting close to sorting the problem - in my case I am rooted using a CF-Root kernal and have tried Voodoo OTA/hide root using the stock Sky Go app and the test ones - see this thread: -

[APP] Sky Go for Android - xda-developers

Think I will wait a while longer as I'm only on Gingerbread 2.3.4 (the latest as per Kies) and do not want to mess with my phone right now. Hopefully someone will report that Sky Go will work on rooted SGS2's very soon, without having to resort with upgrading firmware or reflashing the Kernal to Stock - I mean what's the point of the latter? We have rooted our phones for reasons so going back to unrooted phones seems a daft step to take imho.

Hopefully our wait will not be too long

Maybe somebody on this forum has been successful?

Upvote 0
You can get around the 2 device limit, by simply adding an additional user to your sky account. That user then gets 2 devices. THus giving you 4. I believe you can add upto 10 additional users.

For those rooted or with ICS, try this :

http://forum.xda-developers.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=913133&d=1329844453

Use at your own risk of course. Be sure to wipe data of original app first and uninstall before installing this one.

Upvote 0
You can get around the 2 device limit, by simply adding an additional user to your sky account. That user then gets 2 devices. THus giving you 4. I believe you can add upto 10 additional users.

For those rooted or with ICS, try this :

http://forum.xda-developers.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=913133&d=1329844453

Use at your own risk of course. Be sure to wipe data of original app first and uninstall before installing this one.

Do you have the link for the post this came from? It doesn't work for me on checkrom v6 with redpill 1.3 kernel.

Upvote 0
Right guys - I got Sky Go working this morning - woohooo!!!!

For me, I had to flash my rooted kernal (C-F's v 4.2) with the Stock kernal for my Rom - this preserves the root believe it or not. You then download the skygo_test_0.1.3 apk (there are several versions - this one works for me) and from the Market, download Voodoo OTA. This latter app can hide and unhide your root.

So to make it work, you hide your root (temporarily) and sign in on the Sky Go test app with your username and password and voila!!

Check the compatabilty of your phone (roms and kernals and apps) by checking here: -

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AnLqAJT56SsbdGI2QWJYV1dodFpaWWk3QnkxLWNxN0E#gid=0

And to confirm - create an additional user in your profile, should you have more than 2 devices wanting Sky Go. This works for home-users - if you only subscribe to Sky Go and do not have a regular Sky Package, then it won't work and for once, I agree with Sky's thinking here, it shouldn't. You can create up to 10 users allowing you to have 20 devices !!!

Going to watch the football at 5pm later today as the Mrs will be watching her "catch-up soaps" - come on you blues!!!!! Far better than watching via an internet stream from some foreign website :)

Reactions: bartlet
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones