• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Sleep Governor Settings

ral

Android Expert
How much processor power do our phones need when in sleep mode, assuming a phone running a fairly heavy Sense UI and with auto sync enabled?

I noticed ARHD sets Max speed at sleep to 384 MHz. Virtuous Affinity sets Max sleep speed at 768 MHz.

Regards.

depending on the governor you use,the max speed during sleep prolly isnt as important,unless you have alot of syncs and background process running that would need it. for the most part,your processor should stay at the minimum speed while sleeping.

when i used to play with profiles and processor speeds,i used setCPU and would keep an eye on a setting that showed "time in state". basically,it showed percentages,and a niftly little pie graph, as to how much time your processor spent at each of its slots.

for example,if you let the phone sleep for an hour,then woke it up and it had spent 75% of its time at the max setting you would want to change goveronors,or tweek things somehow. :eek:

when setting yur min sleep speed,you just do not want it set too low,or the phone my be sluggish when you wake it up.

you actually could easily get away with setting the min and max sleep speeds at the same number :)

Reactions: ral
when setting yur min sleep speed,you just do not want it set too low,or the phone my be sluggish when you wake it up.

Or the phone might spend all its time on the max sleep setting :)

I cannot use SetCPU since installing that would disable my OC Daemon. I tried CPUStats but it only showed my a uptime stats, and not deep sleep.

ifyhqu.png

Resolved: I found a way to monitor CPU stats.This little
log file called time_in_state

:D just messing with you... what did your time in state numbers reveal? processor sleeping at min?

I think you knew I would prefer it that way, rather than if you simply told me what you already new.

you actually could easily get away with setting the min and max sleep speeds at the same number

WHAT! And give up my shinny OC Daemon with all those precious settings?

But yup, your right.

59tz02.png

This image show a recording with my sleep+max first set to 537MHZ, than adjusted down to 468MHz than again adjusted it down to 384MHz (this being the longest setting among the three).

Got me thinking. Rather than lower my Max sleep, maybe I should set the minimum wake speed to a higher setting?

Okay, tell me if got this right. Default Android has a low and high setting. The reading in between are just those cases when the recoding is made while the processor it scaling up or down.

With Virtuous_oc or Adrev_oc I have four setting to play with:

Min Sleep
Max Sleep
Min Wake
Max Wake

As sleep it will stay at the minimum most of the time, so the Max Sleep setting is not all that useful.

All the ROM's I use with Virtuous_oc or Adrev_oc have the same setting for Min Sleep and Min Wake at about 250 MHz.

What if I set Min_Wake higher to say 500 MHz. The purpose being to reduce the time the phone goes to full 1 GHz speed?

This is at about 5 am. Had to cut my and my phones sleep short. Had a long trip. Phone asleep for 4 hours or so. Sleep governor Conservative, speeds at Virtuous Affinity ROM defaults (MIN - 245 MHz, MAX 768):

2hg4i9u.png

In the car after office hours on the way for a Mocha a Stabucks (long day). Up 18 hours now but not a heavy use day. A phone call, several emails, SMS and GTalk. Battery life at 5 bars (41-50%).

mv6wc5.png

Home, after catching up on Twitter, a few forums and emails over Mocha. Battery just hit 30% so phone is on its way to the charger.

246826w.png

Looks like the phone spends a lot of time at 245 MHz, even while in use.

460 MHz looks like a nice figure for Max_Sleep?

Back
Top Bottom