• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Slowing down

athegn

Android Expert
My wife and me are experiencing slowing down of our Tab 2s. Both have Jelly Bean 4.2.2

One thing I have noticed is that my wife's has very little "Device memory" left, under 1GB, and her's is a lot slower than mine but even mine, 7GB left, is slowing down.

Power off/on makes no difference.

When first updated to 4.2.2 they were both fast.

Any ideas please?

Certainly, if the free internal storage gets low (anywhere under 1GB) that will slow down Android. My Nexus 4 actually starts showing red under 1GB and then pops up error messages warning that apps will stop working if free space gets under 300MB or so.

As for more general slowing, there is an issue .. which is a bit too techy for me. Something to do with how memory was freed .. or it may have been storage .. or something.

Apparently, the issue was supposed to have been addressed in 4.3 but Google distributed the wrong build. Hopefully, it has been addressed in 4.4.

For earlier versions, I believe the work around is to periodically back everything up and do a factory reset.

Thank you for your reply.

I cannot remember what OS these tablets came with. Maybe ICS and I upgraded to Jelly Bean.

So if I factory reset it will return to ICS? If so how do I get it to upgrade to Jelly Bean again?

Nope. A reset will clear some of the redundant files out and speed up the tablet but the OS will remain as 4.2.2.
Spikes

Thank you. Before I do the reset I want to take a number of screenshots however the recommended method does not work.

I hold down the Power button and down volume button but screenshot not taken. I can also not find any other method in settings.

Also if I mange to get screenshots where are they stored?

On my S2 phone power and physical home button works with the power button; on Tab 2 power button and virtual home button does not.

Any advice please?

Reset my tablet and seems ok i.e. more responsive. Now have to reinstall many apps.

Looking to reset wife's; only worry is she has some Kindle books. Will research before resetting.

Back
Top Bottom