• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Small Update AFTER 2.2 OTA (question)

I just SBF'd back to 2.1 then grabbed the 2.2 OTA. If I root now, will I receive the SMS fix or should I wait for the fix then root? Also, people that were rooted on 2.1, did you receive the 2.2 OTA? or do you have to unroot to get let's say 3.0 in December/January

Rooting doesn't affect whether or not you get the OTA updates, unless you did something with your phone that you can only do with root, that made you somehow incapable of receiving the OTA updates. I'm referring to messing with the updater obviously.

It's when you're on a leaked copy of Froyo, on a custom ROM, etc. that receiving OTA updates becomes tedious.

I was on rooted 2.1 and received the OTA 2.3.15 update just fine.

Rooting does not affect the OTA.

You will lose root when you get the OTA, but it does not prevent you from receiving or installing it.

What you can modify in the system as a result of obtaining root could prevent the OTA, but that's another story...

edit: yeah, what he said ^

Impossible to tell in advance. It's going to vary depending on the fix and how it's implemented. A fix could be as simple as replacing a .apk file, or they could drop a "small fix" into an entire re-write of the system folder. The "small fix" could even include patching the vulnerability that allows us to gain root right now.

Back
Top Bottom