• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Smartphone symbol

yes of course, this is the symbol

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 44
Upvote 0
Try doing a long-press on your phone's Play Store app icon, tap on the resulting contextual link 'My apps', in the resulting page select the 'Manage' tab in the upper menu bar. That should show a listing of all your apps, with their names and respective icons. Scroll down through the list and hopefully that will show you which app relates to that icon in your Notifications bar.

Upvote 0
What is it about?

NFC(Near Field Communications), which is often used for contacteless payments. That notification icon just means the phones's NFC function has been turned on

Many Bluteooth headphones and speakers have an embedded NFC tag, sometimes marked with that stylised "N" symbol, which allow automatic pairing to a phone.

There's never been a single standard logo or symbol for NFC, unlike say Bluetooth. Which is probably why AF has had several posts before, all asking this same question.

nfc.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
NFC stays on when a phone is put in flight mode. Which I demonstrate in this screen-shot from my Huawei phone. My Samsung phone doesn't show the "N" notification when NFC is ON.
Screenshot_20230616_225729_Gallery.jpg

NFC has a range of a couple of inches. The "N" does mean NEAR. So I'm pretty sure this wireless connection has absolutely no chance of interfering with aircraft systems.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
BTW I learned about NFC been on in airplane mode years ago. When I was on a flight and my phone started beeping, because I put my passport and phone in the same trouser pocket.
ePassportInternet1.jpg

All passports have an NFC tag in them.

Usually I leave NFC turned off, and have only really used NFC back when I was a regular customer of the Beijing Subway.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It's likely to be an NFC icon, just Disable it to remove it from the upper Status bar to confirm. You might want to be sure to remember to Enable it again since it does have a purpose -- i.e. automatic contactless payments in some retail outlets and NFC tags. Or leave it off if you're more wary about any of the data mining issues that some NFC tags can include.
(Go into your Settings menu and if you can't find the NFC option, use Search for NFC and that should point its location in Settings)

Upvote 0
However beyond this aspect, the symbol I posted is different from the "N" of the NFC, don't you think?

It's not identical, but your stylised "N" does have the same distinguishing features of an NFC "N" icon. So I can't think of anything else that it could be. Problem with NFC, it's like the symbols and icons for it were never formally standardised and enforced, unlike say for Bluetooth, or Compact Disc, or DVD, or VHS, or Betamax, or SD cards, etc. which are always standard no matter the the manufacturer and product.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
there is always potential for hacking or stealing personal data. the fact that nfc needs to be VERY close is itself a deterrent. the phones or phone and device would literally need to be touching. so unless you leave your phone alone unattended, you should be fine.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones