• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help smiley faces ( emoji) not working

i have recently got the moto g which i love apart from text message. this is beacause although i can see the smiley faces on the keyboard on my phone when im sending a text message ( emoji symbols etc) and can select them they dont appear in the message on my phone or do they appear in the text message the other end to the person ive sentt it to. they just get a blank bubble. If a friend sends me a message it will show up when i get their text with smileys etc so why cant i add the smileys to my text.the phone is 2 weeks old with the latest updates by the way. thank you

It's possible that it's called something else in english. The language in my phone is swedish so I can't guide you any further. Someone else?

The way I found the settings:

Go into messaging itself as if you are reading your texts, click the button on bottom right with 3 dots, then choose settings.

Then click on the part that says SMS encoding method, a box pops up, select automatic.

That should enable emojis

Looks like the option is only available for the folks across the pond. Mine is working, but I don't see that option either.

I had never asked the recipients if they see smiley faces or not, so I just did. It's working on both ends.

How about tapping on Restore default settings? Might not work, but worth a shot.

Thanks! I tried the default settings and it didn't work. I found out they weren't working when my husband kept asking why I was sending blank texts...haha

That's funny. I used to receive a bunch of blank text messages from my ex lol.

Seriously though, that's odd. Not only smiley faces, but also texts?

No, the texts with words go through just fine but if I send a text with just a smiley its just a blank text. So annoying! Haha maybe that was happening to your ex.

It's certainly not a perfect solution, but have you tried using SMS through Hangouts or even a third party messaging app like Handcent?

Another friend of mine just texted me back and she says she got my text message + three blank boxes (I sent her a text message + three smiley faces). So, it's not consistent.

This emoticons problem has been with us since KitKat now a good few months ago and its time it was resolved, I can understand it not being top priority for the engineers as they assume its just a minor problem however one persons minor problem is another persons major problem, I've tried all the workarounds and for me none work, so I hope that when eventually we get 4.4.4 it will be solved ( crossed fingers !!)

No solution to this problem with 4.4.4 although it seems it depends which brand of phone you're sending them to ...moto G to moto G works fine ...maybe with the "new" lollipop ??

I went into messages and at the top right are 3 dots. Select on them , my drop down menu says settings, select that, you should see SMS enabled, then below that are storage options, then just below that it says SMS coding method, select that and choose auto. It worked for me on a moto G4.

Back
Top Bottom