• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Dodgy1

Apr 16, 2011
New Zealand
Hey all. I have recently installed handcent sms on my android powered samsung galaxy. It's a good little app that I'm more then happy with. The problem I have is that when I get a message notification the samsung sms opens as well. How do I tell my phone I only want the handcent app to open?? I'm very new to all this android stuff so please any help will be appreciated.

Not a dumb question at all. As a rule of thumb, you adjust notification settings for apps in each app.

Yeah i've tried that but im still getting the stock sms poping up when I get a message its rather annoying having to close it then open the handcent app ....there must be a way to stop it.I'm a little dissapointed that a phone like the samsung has very basic settings for sending sms...you can't even increase the size of the font etc...

Upvote 0
Yeah i've tried that but im still getting the stock sms poping up when I get a message its rather annoying having to close it then open the handcent app ....there must be a way to stop it.I'm a little dissapointed that a phone like the samsung has very basic settings for sending sms...you can't even increase the size of the font etc...

I am quite satisfied with the app. All i need in a sms app is to be able to type and send. Nothing more. This is why we have the android market - so you can look for better apps if you require more. If you have a phone that comes with all the app you will ever need, who needs the market?

Btw I digress. To completely stop the Samsung sms app, you are going to have to uninstall or freeze it, and that means rooting your phone.

Upvote 0
I am quite satisfied with the app. All i need in a sms app is to be able to type and send. Nothing more. This is why we have the android market - so you can look for better apps if you require more. If you have a phone that comes with all the app you will ever need, who needs the market?

Btw I digress. To completely stop the Samsung sms app, you are going to have to uninstall or freeze it, and that means rooting your phone.
Oh boy.....here comes dumb question number two....what does rooting my phone mean???

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones