• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root SMS not working, what app did i remove?

chefboyardee

So my buddy has a gravity and it had the dreaded low disk error. 50mb internal free and angry birds space wouldn't install for his kid (22mb or so). I rooted him with superoneclick which worked, and explained backing up then uninstalling stock stuff with titanium.

Today he calls and says his texting isn't working, and neither is play store. I'm trying to debug remotely and am not sure what he might have removed because I'm not familiar with this model or tmobile (I'm on a verizon d4).

Anyone have any suggestions as to what he might have killed that broke texting and play (market)?

It turns out the issue is BadgeProvider 1.0 - it was backed up with Titanium and removed, but will not install.

I extracted the APK from the Titanium .apk.gz file, and put it in /system/app with ES File Explorer. I even made sure to mimic permissions the other files in that folder have. Didn't seem to work.

I noticed the system apps have .odex files in there, so I found BadgeProvider.odex via Google and tried adding that as well. I'm used to custom deodexed ROMs on my phone so I'm not familiar with the specifics of how odex files work. But this attempt did not.

A factory reset didn't fix the issue as that doesn't wipe at the system level.

Does anyone have a copy of the original BadgeProvider APK and ODEX files that they could send to me? Also if you could tell me where they live (I assume /system/app) I would appreciate it. Thanks!

It turns out the issue is BadgeProvider 1.0 - it was backed up with Titanium and removed, but will not install.

I extracted the APK from the Titanium .apk.gz file, and put it in /system/app with ES File Explorer. I even made sure to mimic permissions the other files in that folder have. Didn't seem to work.

I noticed the system apps have .odex files in there, so I found BadgeProvider.odex via Google and tried adding that as well. I'm used to custom deodexed ROMs on my phone so I'm not familiar with the specifics of how odex files work. But this attempt did not.

A factory reset didn't fix the issue as that doesn't wipe at the system level.

Does anyone have a copy of the original BadgeProvider APK and ODEX files that they could send to me? Also if you could tell me where they live (I assume /system/app) I would appreciate it. Thanks!

To reset system things, go into recovery mode by:
1: turn your phone off
2:slide out the keyboard
3:Press and hold both the "T" button and the power button at the same time
4:let go of them when samsung banner appears
5:Controls:Volume up does up, volume down does down, power does select
6:Go to "wipe data/factory reset"
7:I've never been in that menu, so you're on your own there.
8:You should also probablly also wipe your cache. It will take a while.
9:Find and go to the "reboot" setting.
10:You're done!

Back
Top Bottom