• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

So... 2.1, but still no VGA res recording?

hakujin

Android Enthusiast
Was kinda hoping this oversight would be remedied on the eclair build since hw wise, it's feasible for the Hero. Anybody know of a 3rd party app maybe that accomplishes 640x480 res and maybe better audio codec options on Hero? This crappy sounding 352x288 is for the birds...

does ANYONE know how to enable 640x480 video record on the HTC Hero? I can't fathom that I'm the only one bothered by the lackluster 352x288 (High, pffft) res and looking for a fix. It just doesn't make sense. If the hardware/sensor supports the res, why would it not be enabled?

Obviously, sometimes NO answer is an answer!

Best you can do is capture and THEN convert it (upscale). but... remember, this lens is what 1/8" You have to be REALISTIC with your expectations!

You posted in a thread yesterday where I provided a link to a free converter. Take the Vid and try using that (post edit). Also, you are recording Audio from the mic on the phone... how good do you think the pick up will be from even 10' away??? An audio Codec can only do so much.

Bottom line is that if Video recording is this high on your needs list, you should not be looking to get it from a phone. ;)

Regards!
:cool:

Obviously, sometimes NO answer is an answer!

Best you can do is capture and THEN convert it (upscale). but... remember, this lens is what 1/8" You have to be REALISTIC with your expectations!

You posted in a thread yesterday where I provided a link to a free converter. Take the Vid and try using that (post edit). Also, you are recording Audio from the mic on the phone... how good do you think the pick up will be from even 10' away??? An audio Codec can only do so much.

Bottom line is that if Video recording is this high on your needs list, you should not be looking to get it from a phone. ;)

Regards!
:cool:
do you seriously think VGA video in a 2009 phone, in a camera sensor that supports 640x480 resolution is unrealistic? there was a lot of hope that the 2.1 eclair update would remedy this and I think it's really a matter of software, not hardware.

conversion would only lessen the quality. upscaling only exacerbates the problem. i would think the audio quality would be marginally better as it is in many other products, the iPhone for one example, has far better captured/processed sound when capturing video. This has much more to do w/ the recording bitrate and codec than the microphone in the Hero btw. For instance I have a 2003 smartphone that records excellent audio (relatively speaking) in apps where I can choose audio codec and bitrate. You'd be very surprised how much the bitrate (and bit depth, frequency, etc.) along w/ the codec, can affect the output.

I can see why someone with your (lack of) answer would hesitate to reply. :D

as an aside, i don't know what converter you posted, nor how that is really applicable to capturing VGA resolution video, but MediaCoder is one of my preferred transcoders, among others.

I'm not entirely sure if its possible or not, but have you tried any third party camcorder apps? Camera ZOOM FX, for instance? Like I said, I've never tried it, but it's worth a shot. As far as audio goes... GIGO (Garbage In, Garbage Out). It'll only be as good as the crappy phone mic will perform.

I'm not entirely sure if its possible or not, but have you tried any third party camcorder apps? Camera ZOOM FX, for instance?

that's the kinda stuff I'm looking for, if not hack to enable it... thanks for the suggestion, i'll try camera zoom fx.

Like I said, I've never tried it, but it's worth a shot. As far as audio goes... GIGO (Garbage In, Garbage Out). It'll only be as good as the crappy phone mic will perform.

which would be a lot better quality than what is output in 3gp a/v playback. the Achilles heel to that equation is the a. audio codec & processing b. bitrate.

Have you ever used any of the audio recording apps? That sound ALOT better than the audio produced from a Mpeg4 3GP capture on this device.

bummer, that app seems like just for photos. Camera ZOOM Android App Review by AndroidTapp.com | Android Tapp. Android App Reviews

crap... this is just another app that for some reason hasn't been created or is difficult to create due to the SDK, maybe similar to the no decent divx video player. it's amazing that in an app market of 70k apps, there is a lack of so many quality core 3rd party apps; meanwhile w/ WinMo you have some very good app choices in some respects (auto audio/call record, pc2phone remote desktop, divx players, etc.) but no centralized market.

meanwhile w/ WinMo you have some very good app choices in some respects (auto audio/call record, pc2phone remote desktop, divx players, etc.) but no centralized market.

Android also has Audio/Call Record apps, VNC apps, and several media players (i believe some of them support divx).

Androlib is an excellent source for browsing top rated apps, as well as lesser-known ones. Also, you may want to check out the applications forum on this site. I've posted there several times and have gotten app names in a matter of hours. I was looking for an app that will follow your jogging/biking route on GPS... boom, CardioTrainer.

... I was looking for an app that will follow your jogging/biking route on GPS... boom, CardioTrainer.

There's also "my tracks"...very nice app with lots of abilities, shows speed, altitude change etc... will even show satellite view.

Android also has Audio/Call Record apps, VNC apps, and several media players (i believe some of them support divx).

Androlib is an excellent source for browsing top rated apps, as well as lesser-known ones. Also, you may want to check out the applications forum on this site. I've posted there several times and have gotten app names in a matter of hours. I was looking for an app that will follow your jogging/biking route on GPS... boom, CardioTrainer.
the call record apps are either of poor quality or outright broke on the hero (e.g. work only on speaker phone only or not at all, etc.). I have tested a few audio record apps, and chose one I like most so far (virtualrecord) but afaict, none allow you to choose, codec/container and bitrate... novel that they do allow to email recordings and such, but otherwise limited when compared to Vito Audio Notes, my favorite app on WinMo. VNC is cool, but not an issue as there are so many avenues/choices going this route. No media players support DIVX except maybe one and then it plays really crappy, slow stuttered frames and such. I've read this is a limitation in the SDK, but find it peculiar that the moment had support in 1.5 and some report still does in 2.1.. i. some kind of built in codec support from samsung... blows my mind we have nothing yet for hero. If you find or know of something new, LET US KNOW!

thank you tremendously for the tip to check out androlib, I will do it!

the call record apps are either of poor quality or outright broke on the hero (e.g. work only on speaker phone only or not at all, etc.). I have tested a few audio record apps, and chose one I like most so far (virtualrecord) but afaict, none allow you to choose, codec/container and bitrate... novel that they do allow to email recordings and such, but otherwise limited when compared to Vito Audio Notes, my favorite app on WinMo. VNC is cool, but not an issue as there are so many avenues/choices going this route. No media players support DIVX except maybe one and then it plays really crappy, slow stuttered frames and such. I've read this is a limitation in the SDK, but find it peculiar that the moment had support in 1.5 and some report still does in 2.1.. i. some kind of built in codec support from samsung... blows my mind we have nothing yet for hero. If you find or know of something new, LET US KNOW!

thank you tremendously for the tip to check out androlib, I will do it!

You are welcome. I'll def. poke around and see if I can come up with anything. I don't know if its something you're interested in, but i use Orb (MyCast your digital media with Orb 2.0 remote pc access software) to stream vids straight to my phone via my PC. There is an app called OrbLIVE which acts as a client on your phone. It's a paid app, but there is also a free version to make sure you like it. It may bypass the codec issues you have.

OrbLIVE gave me better performace than the free version, but it can still get choppy if you have a bad 3G connection. It works flawlessly on WiFi, tho.

yeah man, i'm familiar w/ ORB, started using it in 2003ish actually, to stream vid on Wifi to my T-Mobile SDA. I stopped using it a while back as it got a little too bloated and demanded too much from my aging hardware.

thats that option though. just frustrates me there is not way to playback various mpeg4 part 2 implementations (xvid, divx, etc.) in an avi container as it's been around for SOOOOOO long, and is so venerable and ubiquitious. It's like all these mobile OS and phone manufacters still find it taboo for some reason, primarily due to the hooplah back in the day about piracy and so forth. but at the end of the day, all other codecs/containers can be used for nefarious reasons too.... they should just let people play the d-mn media how they want too and quit meddling.

I would have already resigned to the fact that its not possible due to the framework of Android, but crap, the MOMENT plays XVID... so why the heck can't all Android phones?!

Anyway, I digress. This thread is mostly about capturing video on the built in camera at an adequate resolution.... gotta be a hack for that too, but now, it seems people are caring less and less about the Hero... maybe something willl come about on another hw platform and be grandfathered.:confused:

I think the video recording on the Hero is great, despite the fact that I was longing for HD. Since the Nexus One was hacked into recording 720p, I don't see why it can't be done for the Hero as well. The hardware is there, it's simply a software issue. I'll be talking to some of the XDA programmers to see what they can accomplish.

Back
Top Bottom