• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Software to re-encode music whilst syncing.

carbonara

Apr 21, 2010
Currently I keep all my music on my PC in MP3 format at 320kbps. I prefer 192kbps on my phone as I'm not too concerned about quality on the move and I can fit more music on that way. I don't want to keep 2 versions of each album as I have loads and that's not really practical.

At the moment I sync using WMP12 as it allows you to re-encode to a lower bitrate as it syncs but the only problem is that it re-encodes to WMA format. I don't really have a problem with that as it's only going on my phone but with Froyo there's a bug that means the phone can no longer read the artist tag of WMA files. Since Froyo has now been out for months and there's no word about the bug from Google it appears there's no chance of it getting fixed (a cunning ploy to stop people using WMA seems the most likely explanation I guess)

So can anyone recommend a piece of software I can use for Windows that will re-encode to a lower MP3 bitrate as I sync? Does such a thing exist?

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones