• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Solve Lag Problem on Unrooted Galaxy S?

_wolf_

Hi everyone,

I apologize if I am posting a question which has already been answered. I searched for this but nothing came up.

I have a Galaxy S.

It is unrooted and I don't want to root it right now. I'm in Bombay, India and am waiting for the 2.2 update to come. Even so, I'm not a tech guy so I'm afraid I'll brick my phone if I try to root it. Plus, I need to research rooting a lot more before experimenting like this.

Anyway,

I have Launcher Pro Plus, and a bunch of different apps.

My phone has been lagging a lot recently.

Is there any way for me to fix this issue? I know lag fix is a good app which helps but that is for rooted phones. Is there any way to work around this for the unrooted phones?

Thank you for the help.

I dont have an galaxy s yet, i should have it tomorrow, but what i have read about the slowdown is caused my the internal 16gb memory is formated as fat32 and this causes the slowdown, now to fix the slowdown you need to format the internal 16gb to ntfs , but to do this you need to root the phone, and then most likely run an ntfs formatter on the internal memory.

I dont have an galaxy s yet, i should have it tomorrow, but what i have read about the slowdown is caused my the internal 16gb memory is formated as fat32 and this causes the slowdown, now to fix the slowdown you need to format the internal 16gb to ntfs , but to do this you need to root the phone, and then most likely run an ntfs formatter on the internal memory.

Now that's interesting. there are not many devices which can deal with NTFS formatted memory.

Not quite sure if it's meant to be NTFS. But yeah it's something to do with the format of the memory. I think it's something along the lines of exFAT.

The Galaxy S has a RFS file system. RFS is simply a FAT16 with a transaction log for journaling making it slow. The current lag fixes have used EXT2 and EXT4 - not NTFS.

So the only solution is to root my phone?

Damnit....I'm so scared to root it lol....I wish I could give it to someone have them root it for me. I'd pay, naturally but I wish there was somebody doing it for non-tech-savvy guys like me.

Hi everyone!

Firstly, I'd like to say a big thank you to all of you who responded to my question.

I am bumping this old thread because if someone does a search for this they might want to know what I ended up doing.

I have not yet rooted my phone (I am scared lol) but what I have done is download Advanced Task Killer.

This app is really really good because my phone performance on that Quadrant thingy is at it's highest. It is only below the 2.2 phones and Droid X.

Also, this app has caused the lag to be considerably lesser - actually, I cannot recall when it lagged last but I assume it is not nearly as smooth as rooted phone.

Thanks for all the help once again, guys!

Back
Top Bottom