• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help [SOLVED] Clicking/Ticking noise when shooting video

Blackthanos

Well I was explaining all the great stuff the ReZound can do to my step daughter who came to town for the holidays and she asked me about it's HD video. I had never really gotten around to it so we went outside to shoot some. That's when I noticed a clicking/ticking sound. It only happens every now and then but it's very annoying. I figured out how to stop it by covering up one of the noise cancelling mics with my finger but that would be equally annoying if I have to do that every time I shoot video. Has anyone else noticed this with their phone? I posted 2 examples on youtube. One with the tick and the other with me covering the noise mic. I'm curious if it's a hardware or software problem or maybe something I'm doing that I shouldn't be. Here is the link.

Blackthanos2's Channel - YouTube

Maybe the autofocus (autofocus operates mechanically).

Shot a video without moving the phone and see if there still any noise.

Harry

Well I was explaining all the great stuff the ReZound can do to my step daughter who came to town for the holidays and she asked me about it's HD video. I had never really gotten around to it so we went outside to shoot some. That's when I noticed a clicking/ticking sound. It only happens every now and then but it's very annoying. I figured out how to stop it by covering up one of the noise cancelling mics with my finger but that would be equally annoying if I have to do that every time I shoot video. Has anyone else noticed this with their phone? I posted 2 examples on youtube. One with the tick and the other with me covering the noise mic. I'm curious if it's a hardware or software problem or maybe something I'm doing that I shouldn't be. Here is the link.

Blackthanos2's Channel - YouTube

Making me dizzy with all that spinning! :p I noticed on the video that it didn't "ping", it was shot in 720p correct? I found this video and thus it makes me think it's something with the phone's design. I wonder if this interference is what some people are hearing through their headphones... Try shooting video in 1080p without the mic covered but in Airplane mode, maybe it's one of the network connections.

You can slightly hear the same noise here.

HTC Rezound 1080p HD Video Sample - YouTube

Sorry about the delayed response guys but right after I put the post up I had to take my wife back to the car dealer and something that was supposed to take 30 minutes took 3 hours...arghhh! Anyway, yes I was still there after a reboot and I tried recording without moving the phone and it was still there. Unless someone comes up with an idea that works tonight I will be going back to the Verizon store to see what they can do.

Ok, I have been doing some trouble shooting + brain storming and I THINK I may have solved the problem. After digging through all the phones settings I noticed that each sound function had its own individual volume control. Almost all of them were set to 50-60% but the media volume control was maxed out. I adjusted it to the same level as the others and my next 3 videos didn't have the clicking/ticking sound in them. I want to be cautious but I think the noise might have been some type of feedback. I still saving my joy until I can do more outside test tomorrow.(fingers crossed)

Did 4 videos this morning and they were all AWEOME! Yaaay I get to keep my beautiful electronic mistress! If anyone esle has this issue be sure to check that volume level I was talking about. Problem solved and the thread can be closed.

Did 4 videos this morning and they were all AWEOME! Yaaay I get to keep my beautiful electronic mistress! If anyone esle has this issue be sure to check that volume level I was talking about. Problem solved and the thread can be closed.

Were all the videos shot in 1080p or 720p? You had 2 different videos on your channel and each were shot differently. I'm just curious if you're still shooting in 1080p.

Two in each and both came out great. Glad I didn't have to take it in for a trade or anything. I was just getting it customized and loaded up with media and info.

You should re-title it to reflect the issue in hopes it can help others out :)

yeah, this wasn't the fix. i had the same exact issue in my videos, and i turned all of my volumes down before recording. i'm posting a new thread on it, but goto youtube.com/ochsbeatdown and you'll hear it in my guitar videos. it's a problem with the camera and the audio it records. sigh, way to F up an AUDIO based phone, HTC.

My Incredible does same thing. I haven't checked it in awhile. Thanks for the heads up. It would be ashame if HTC didn't fix this.
Edit: never mind, it was my Apple Nano that did that.

My Incredible does same thing. I haven't checked it in awhile. Thanks for the heads up. It would be ashame if HTC didn't fix this.
Edit: never mind, it was my Apple Nano that did that.

lol, yeah the Apple Nano is about the same size as the Rezound. I often get the two confused. ;) :p

lol, yeah the Apple Nano is about the same size as the Rezound. I often get the two confused. ;) :p

It wasn't really the form, it was which device did that, plus I hadn't taken a video in months. And not thinking to straight at 430 am

I'm very confused here; why would this fix the problem if the media volume is output ?

Ok, I have been doing some trouble shooting + brain storming and I THINK I may have solved the problem. After digging through all the phones settings I noticed that each sound function had its own individual volume control. Almost all of them were set to 50-60% but the media volume control was maxed out. I adjusted it to the same level as the others and my next 3 videos didn't have the clicking/ticking sound in them. I want to be cautious but I think the noise might have been some type of feedback. I still saving my joy until I can do more outside test tomorrow.(fingers crossed)

I'm very confused here; why would this fix the problem if the media volume is output ?

In all honesty I can't tell you that. I don't know if it's output only, or input and output. I have no clue. All I can tell you is that I had that problem. I did what I said i did. I have shoot about 25 videos since then at different video settings and in different environments and I don't have the problem anymore. I made no other changes.

i'm gonna try a few things..

turn airplane mode on. maybe it's radio interference?? (i have wifi on though..)
and drop all my sounds to 0.
i'll also turn stereo recording on (i turned it off in my vdieos)

I got my 32GB SD card in the mail today and on the package there's an interesting bit of text, "Maximize smartphone 1080p video recording capabilities" As to whether it's touting the fact that it is a 32 GB card or that it's a class 10 had me wondering. Maybe the Class 4 isn't fast enough to handle the write speed needed for 1080p recording? I'll throw this card in and do some testing shortly.

son of a bitch. i just ordered a class 4 32 gig card.

however, i've recorded videos onto the phone memory and it still had it....so i'm sure the phone memory is much faster than SD, correct?

son of a bitch. i just ordered a class 4 32 gig card.

however, i've recorded videos onto the phone memory and it still had it....so i'm sure the phone memory is much faster than SD, correct?

I hope you didn't pay more than $39 for that class 4 card. I posted up that Newegg had a 32 GB 10 class for that price. It's back up to $45 Newegg.com - Wintec 32GB Micro SDHC FileMate Mobile Professional SDHC Model 3FMUSD32GBC10-R

I just finished copying everything over and yeah the class 10 makes a big difference. I have a 720p video that when I tap to scroll it forward, with the class 4 it would take a good couple of seconds to move. This thing is pretty instant.

Back
Top Bottom