• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Some apps not showing updates, can't find some apps, account sync question

jaydee77ca

Hi,

I got a Captivate on the Rogers network here in Canada and I have some questions about some weird things I've noticed.

1. Some apps don't show updates when there are updates available
I use AppBrain and when I log in it says there are updates available for the following: Street View, Maps, Movies, Vlingo Voice, and Layar. I checked the version numbers of what is installed on my phone and what's in the market and sure enough the market versions are newer. However, when I open the Market application it doesn't show those applications in the list of downloads (and so no available updates). Also, if I go to the app page for Google Maps for example it shows an Install button, not an update button or "Installed". I use these apps so I know they're installed. What's going on? Is it because they came pre-installed? Can I safely update them through AppBrain even though the Market doesn't even show them as installed?

2. I can't find the Google Car Home app
I have searched via the Market and AppBrain and can't find this app anywhere.

3. Duplicate entries under Accounts and Sync
When I go to Accounts and Sync under settings I have two Facebook entries (both the same Facebook account though) and two Twitter entries (both the same Twitter account though). If I go in to each entry they have different settings. For example, one Facebook entry has just "Sync Contacts" while the other has "SNS setting", "Sync Contacts", and "Sync Calendar". Same with the Twitter entries. Why are these duplicates here?
Also, when I go in to some contacts they have duplicate linked contacts from Facebook. So I have one contact who under linked contacts shows two linked contacts, one says it's from Facebook, the other says "Unknown" but I know it's also from Facebook since it has their Facebook picture (and they only have a Facebook profile and aren't in any other service like Google or Twitter).

Any help or insight that someone could offer would be greatly appreciated.

Other than the battery life, this phone rocks!

Thanks!

1) Pretty sure pre-installed apps don't show updates from the marketplace. Install the newer Marketplace versions and then going forward you'll see notice of updates.

2) That's an AT&T only app I believe.

3) See the Captivate FAQ: Contacts - CapFAQ

1) Pretty sure pre-installed apps don't show updates from the marketplace. Install the newer Marketplace versions and then going forward you'll see notice of updates.
Will updating via AppBrain or installing the new version via the Market over top of the existing version cause any issues?

2) That's an AT&T only app I believe.
Really? A friend of mine has an LG Eve and he just installed Froyo on it and he has Car Mode.

3) See the Captivate FAQ: Contacts - CapFAQ
Yeah, I've read that but it doesn't really explain why I would have two linked contacts from Facebook one identified as being from Facebook and another tagged as "Unknown" nor why I would have the same Facebook account listed twice under "Accounts and Sync" with different sync options...

Back
Top Bottom