• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Some problems with kernals...

Abbott

Lurker
Hi everyone, thanks for reading. I just put Froyo 2.2 on my Moto Droid using this ROM:
http://androidforums.com/roms-droid/127966-rom-stable-android-2-2-frg01-clean-untouched-virgin.html
And I used the 800mHz kernal found here:
How To: Get Android 2.2 (Froyo) On Your Motorola Droid Right Now! | TheUnlockr
I am experiancing a few freezing problems and bad start ups, but I am assuming these kind of surprises come with flashing different ROMs/kernals onto your phone. I noticed, however, that occasionally my screen will get really "twitchy" e.g. when I press a key on the android on screen keyboard it types the letter 4 times. or when i drag the notifications bar down half way and keep my finger still i can see the bar twitch up and down rapidly. I have heard from several review sites that twitchiness and stuttering usually have to do with the processing, which made me think of the kernal change. Does this mean i picked a bad kernal or a bad speed? If i get this twitching does it mean get a faster kernal or a slower kernal? Thanks for reading and for any help you offer.

I am no expert so hopefully someone with more knowledge will chime in and help. The problems you are experiencing could well be the kernel. But that does not mean that it is bad. Just that it doesn't play nice with your droid. Kernels that work good on mine might not work on yours etc. Part of the fun is finding the right combo of rom and kernel that works for you.
I would suggest downloading several different kernels to try. Keep several different ones on your sd card in case you get stuck in bootloop while trying them out.
Now I'll let those that are smarter than me explain why.
Hope this helps.

Normally a kernel doesn't cause problems that severe. It's possible that your phone just doesn't like the kernel you're using, I suppose, or it may be a bad flash of the ROM. Are you using the stock kernel that came with the FRG01 ROM? Try one of Chevy's kernels. You can just install it over your current setup. I've always had good luck with them. See if that takes care of the problem. If not, you may want to wipe data/cache and reinstall the ROM from scratch.

Back
Top Bottom