• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Some Questions About Samsung Galaxy SL =D

Hello guys! I'm a newbie here and I'm also new to android fons. :) Jz bought a Galaxy SL and I'm lovin it. ;) Well, I suppose everyone here loves their android fons too rite? So do I haha! So there are some questions that I wanted to ask u guys and I would reli appreciate it if any of u guys can hlp me out. Advice and suggestions would much be appreciated. :D

The questions are :
1.) Is it normal for my android fon to heat up a little while I charge it, playing games, and surfing the web or downloading stuffs with Wi-Fi or 3G? It's nt too hot bt it heats up.

2.) Is it necessary to switch off the fon while we want to charge it? Can I play games or surf web/dl stuffs while charging? :rolleyes:

3.) We can customize our homescreen with lots of widgets, shortcuts, folders etc etc rite? Well, I've put some widgets on 5 pages on my homescreen(total 7 for my Galaxy SL) some of them are news, weather readers, dual-clock, power ctrl, etc etc. Will these drain more battery life and slows down my fon? :confused: I've noticed that my RAM had gone up from 245/478 to 325/478 with these widgets on my homescreen & it starts to slow down a little. And yes I seldom turn on my Wi-Fi to connect to the news or weather readers of the widgets.

4.) Is it necessary to visit the task manager(once every hour or once a day) to clear some space? I'm afraid of running out of RAM because I've had ntg running and I still can clear some data it says 4 or sometimes 7 apps closed and my RAM dropped from 303/478 to 275/478. Bt after awhile it went up to 308/478 again.

5.) Well, I have Galaxy Sl with firmware : 2.2.1, baseband : I9003DXKB2, kernel : 2.6.32.9 root@SE-S604 #1, build number : FROYO.DXKF1. When I connect to Kies it says my fon version can't be updated. Does this mean I can't update to 2.3.4 Gingerbread? Or there are no official updates yet? (This is my largest concern) :(

Again, I would reli appreciate it if anyone can hlp me out with these. Thx a million... :)

1.) Its normal for ANY phone, whether Android or not to heat up when using resource intensive operations. For example, the 3D game Space Blitz makes my phone heat up a bit, but Inotia 3 doesnt. Also, of course charging will heat it up slightly as power is being pumped into it. More so if you use it intensively while charging. Its the same way why computers heat up when in use and requires cooling systems.

2.) No its not necessary. And yes you can play with it, same as with any phone even if not Android. It would however increase the wear on the battery, maybe causing it wear down faster (lose charging capacity over time). A li-ion battery normally has a lifespan of 600 charge or discharge cycles, or one year of use before it starts wearing down and capacity decreases. Playing with your phone or using it intensively while charging may reduce lifespan.

3.) More widgets = more processes running so greater usage of RAM. As for battery, they'd use up battery as well, especially if they are the type to try and update themselves every now and then (facebook widget for example). Even if they're not connected to net, they'd try to update and thus use power.

4.) No, Android manages RAM by itself. If you open an app and RAM is too few, Android will close some running apps by itself, then run them again when there are enough RAM. I rarely visit task manager. Unlike Symbian, you wont see Memory full error on a Droid because it manages it by itself. If it lags, then it is detecting to few RAM, then it will close some apps automatically, then it will run fast again.

5.) There are no official updates yet.

Wanted to say thank you again. Reli helped me alot. A few questions. :D Umm so it will nt harm my fon rite? Because b4 tat I did visit the task manager few times a day and cleared the data from there. How about hard reset? Won't harrm our fons rite? :) Thx again.

You can actually forget about using task manager. You can forget even that there is a task manager. A hard reset would wipe off everything on your phone, and no hard resets dont harm ANY phone, whether it be Samsung, HTC, Nokia, Sony or whatever.

Back
Top Bottom