• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Speed up wifi

Rgarner

Android Expert
Wifi tends to be slow in nowhereville, but this is ridiculous. Yesterday I could barely use it at all, even after I shut it down on the phone, took out the battery and put it back, unplugged and replugged the router, etc. How can I fix this? Is it maybe a virus or hackers?

What bandwidth is the internet connection the router is connected to supposed to provide?

If you plug a laptop into the router via a cable what speed does it get?

How it your router connected to the world? How long is the cable between your house and the system cabinet or exchange? What speeds do you normally get?

You'll note that I've asked nothing about the phone, because nothing you've said suggests that the phone is the problem.

I hate to admit I probably can't answer any of those questions. The router is plugged into the wall, and I know the guy had to go over to the highway to get part of it done. I guess there's not really any physical connection outside, but I can't say for sure.

I hate to admit I probably can't answer any of those questions.
Sure you can! For example, "What bandwidth is the internet connection the router is connected to supposed to provide?" That's just the speed package you signed up for with your provider. Mine is 50Mbps/5Mbps--which reflects its download/upload speeds. Log in to your account, or call your provider, to see which package you have.

Next, @Hadron asked, "If you plug a laptop into the router via a cable what speed does it get?" Have you tried that? CAN you try it? Do you have a computer--doesn't have to be a laptop--and an ethernet cable?
The router is plugged into the wall, and I know the guy had to go over to the highway to get part of it done. I guess there's not really any physical connection outside, but I can't say for sure.
Well, there has to be a physical connection--that's why it has 'cable' in its name. ;) How far away did the guy go, do you know?

Your starting point should be the service provider, they have an obligation to make sure you are getting what you are paying them for, and to check whether the line/network up to your premises is good. If it is they should also be able and willing to suggest a course of action to try and resolve the issue.

I'm not sure but I guess it was at least a few blocks. Right now I can't really use the pc because of that "giant squashed ink bug" problem with the screen. At least it (speed) has improved somewhat from a couple days ago.

Back
Top Bottom