• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Sprint's Network Vision

I just want to clear some things up.

network.sprint.com IS NOT about Network Vision upgrades but merely some band aid patches they did/are doing on the existing legacy network.

Network Vision is a complete tear down and rebuild of a cell site. It includes new multi mode base stations, new antenna panels with the radio heads mounted at the panels and installing new back haul via fiber or microwave. All of which will increase signal strength, building penetration and 3G data speeds and of course, add 4G LTE to the site.

It has nothing to do with Wi-Max

I just want to clear some things up.

network.sprint.com IS NOT about Network Vision upgrades but merely some band aid patches they did/are doing on the existing legacy network.

Network Vision is a complete tear down and rebuild of a cell site. It includes new multi mode base stations, new antenna panels with the radio heads mounted at the panels and installing new back haul via fiber or microwave. All of which will increase signal strength, building penetration and 3G data speeds and of course, add 4G LTE to the site.

It has nothing to do with Wi-Max

I did just go read Sprint's info board on the subject, and it makes a bit more sense now. But if Wimax is continuing to be supported and you say their plan is to tear down and rebuild sites, what happens to Wimax? Will they replace it within new sites? Or just "band aid" those sites with Wimax and build NV sites elsewhere?

I think WiMax is straight from Clearwire?

And yes, multi mode base stations.....couldn't think of what they called it. Read about it a while back.

But if Wimax is continuing to be supported and you say their plan is to tear down and rebuild sites, what happens to Wimax? Will they replace it within new sites? Or just "band aid" those sites with Wimax and build NV sites elsewhere?

Here's where it gets a bit confusing.

Wi-Max in many cases sites on its own cell site. Has nothing to so with Sprint.

Cleawire was/is its own company with substantial investment or equity positions by the likes of Time Warner, Gooogle and such. Sprint was the majority share holder but without a controlling vote.

That has changed since the Softbank deal but don't look for Wi-Max to last much past 2015.

Here's where it gets a bit confusing.

Wi-Max in many cases sites on its own cell site. Has nothing to so with Sprint.

Cleawire was/is its own company with substantial investment or equity positions by the likes of Time Warner, Gooogle and such. Sprint was the majority share holder but without a controlling vote.

That has changed since the Softbank deal but don't look for Wi-Max to last much past 2015.

Because Sprint doesn't have any sort of veto power, or is it separating itself from Clearwire after 2015 when they've already said Wimax won't be supported?

Does Clear do anything else for Sprint?

Clear is one of the main reasons for Softbanks interest in Sprint, Clear's enormous spectrum portfolio is worth quite a bit.

Because Sprint doesn't have any sort of veto power, or is it separating itself from Clearwire after 2015 when they've already said Wimax won't be supported?

Does Clear do anything else for Sprint?

Sprint (aka New Sprint with Softbank) got/or will soon have controlling interest in Clearwire.

Clear never said they were turning off Wi-Max in 2016 just that they were committed to keep it running through 2015.

Besides having a boat load of spectrum, Clear will also be building out its own LTE network over 2500Mhz.

This will eventually position Sprint with LTE over 800, 1900 & 2500.

What does any of it mean to those on prepaid is a guess. Y/E 2015 is a long way away. My S2 and EVO will be in a scrap heap way before then.

Back
Top Bottom