• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Steinheil Ultra Optics Vs Ultra Oleophobic

B2L

Android Expert
Jan 17, 2011
Salt Lake City, UT
I bought a cheap screen protector from Amazon that i am regretting like no other. It is the biggest piece of crap ever, and completely gives my beautiful screen a rainbow effect.

So i have decided to purchase a Steinheil screen protector. But i'm not sure whether i should go for the Ultra Optics or the Ultra Oleophobic. Some personal experiences with either would be great, right now i am leaning towards the oleophobic but i would really like the anti glare.

Any input would be awesome, thanks in advance.

EDIT: Looks like this page is getting a lot of views, probably because people want to see a comparison of these two. So i think i will just buy both, and compare and review them.

I purchased and installed the Steinheil Ultra Oleophobic.

My concern was fingerprints! I had already purchased and installed a screen protector, but while it did protect against scratches, it showed finger prints and smudges and drove me nuts!

Unfortunately, the Steinheil Ultra Oleophobic was no better!

Ended up going to Best Buy about six weeks later, and they told me that they offer a 30 day, no questions asked full return on their Zagg Thunderbolt screen protector.

Bottom line, for MY needs... reducing or eliminating ugly fingerprints, the Zaggs are great! Easy to see the screen, easy to swipe, and dramatically reduces smudges. AND... if there ARE any smudges, a quick swipe of my phone against my tee shirt and they're pretty much gone! NOT so with the Steinheil.

Upvote 0
I purchased and installed the Steinheil Ultra Oleophobic.

My concern was fingerprints! I had already purchased and installed a screen protector, but while it did protect against scratches, it showed finger prints and smudges and drove me nuts!

Unfortunately, the Steinheil Ultra Oleophobic was no better!

Ended up going to Best Buy about six weeks later, and they told me that they offer a 30 day, no questions asked full return on their Zagg Thunderbolt screen protector.

Bottom line, for MY needs... reducing or eliminating ugly fingerprints, the Zaggs are great! Easy to see the screen, easy to swipe, and dramatically reduces smudges. AND... if there ARE any smudges, a quick swipe of my phone against my tee shirt and they're pretty much gone! NOT so with the Steinheil.

The first screen protector I had on my nexus s was a zagg. And let me say it was horrible, it collected fingerprints like no other and it was extremely overpriced. It also made the screen clarity much worse and it had a ripple effect.

I have been using the steinheil ultra oleophobic for a couple of weeks now. And let me say it's by far the best screen protector I have ever had. The clarity is just as good as without a screen protector, and it has a really nice coating that allows fingerprints to easily wipe off.

My only gripe about it is there are no holes cut out for the FFC or the sensors, and it isn't a perfect fit. It's much smaller than the front of the phone. I'm waiting for the ultra optics to come in the mail so I will compare the two as soon as I get it.

Upvote 0
The best screen protector out there are from these guys:

Quality Screen Protectors for Any Display by Clarivue

After using Zaggs for a while (I think they offer the best protection but the clarity is really poor) I wanted something that didn't obstructed my screen as much. The first time I installed the clarivue protector I couldn't even tell if it was on the screen, I actually peeled it back off because I thought it was still on the backing. They hold up very well and are very well priced.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones