• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Stickmount not working

jgirvine

Newbie
Got this OTG cable at Amazon...
Amazon.com: T & S Electronics Micro USB Host Cable (OTG Cable) - Xoom, Galaxy S2, Acer Iconia A510, Toshiba Excite AT305, Google Nexus 7 & more.. LIFETIME WARRANTY!!!: Computers & Accessories

unlocked and rooted the N7
downloaded and installed Stickmount

turn on the N7
plug in the OTG cable
nothing happens
attach a Fat32 usb stick
a little box opens that says Stickmount and searching
then nothing
I open the Stickmount program it says nothing mounted
I open ES File Explorer....don't see it
Try another USB stick....same thing (this stick has a light and it comes on for a little bit)
Try a USB SD card reader (card is just Fat) when I plug in the sd card the green light comes on, but, still can not "see" the card

What am I missing here?
Thanks
 
Did you get a prompt from the Superuser app to give Stickmount superuser permission? That seems to be the only step missing in your list that I can think of.
 
From the Stickmount description on Play:

"For some users, the app appears not to work, while in fact it is the device itself or the cable not working. One OTG cable is not the other OTG cable. If you have a USB stick with a light on it, it should light up when you connect it to the Galaxy Nexus using your OTG cable. If it does not, either your cable or your Galaxy Nexus is faulty. 99 out of 100 times it is going to be your cable. That the cable works fine with another device does not mean anything! Cables known to work on a different devices may not work on the Galaxy Nexus (a known example is the Xoom OTG cable)."
 
I have the same rig, and it DID work great. I feel that it stopped working (stickmount reports "no mount.") after the update of the OS a month or so ago. I bought another cable because of the above quote, and both cables (different makes) DO light the light on two different USB drives. Is anyone successfully using the OTG/Stickmount rig AFTER the upgrade? Android 4.1.2, Kernel build JZ054K.
 
I have the same rig, and it DID work great. I feel that it stopped working (stickmount reports "no mount.") after the update of the OS a month or so ago. I bought another cable because of the above quote, and both cables (different makes) DO light the light on two different USB drives. Is anyone successfully using the OTG/Stickmount rig AFTER the upgrade? Android 4.1.2, Kernel build JZ054K.

I had it working, but after the upgrade it quit. I checked and I no longer had root. I reinstalled root and got it back working.
 
I can also confirm it works with 4.1.2. I just read/wrote to a new 32Gb microsd using an OTG cable and mini-microsd reader, a thumbdrive, and an sdcard in a card reader.
 
It is working, I am using it right now, it work with the OTG cable, it also work with my MicroSD to MicroUSB prototypes I am working on. (all 4 of them).

It could be your cable, it may not set as OTG (which is required for the N7).
 
jgirvine;
what do you mean, "I reinstalled root?"
My Nexus shows the unlocked padlock when it starts up, and I can access the root files with the file browser.
 
jgirvine;
what do you mean, "I reinstalled root?"
My Nexus shows the unlocked padlock when it starts up, and I can access the root files with the file browser.
I suppose he means that he re-rooted his N7 having lost root on the update. You are unlocked, but are you sure you are still rooted? If you open your Superuser or Supersu do you see Stickmount listed under Apps? You can re-root the same way you did it the first time if you find you've lost root.
 
jgirvine;
what do you mean, "I reinstalled root?"
My Nexus shows the unlocked padlock when it starts up, and I can access the root files with the file browser.

I lost root on the update. I still showed unlocked, but was no longer rooted. There is an app named "Root Checker Basic" that I have installed to very easily check to see if I am rooted.....
 
Thanks you guys. When I look in superSU the only app in there is busybox. so I guess I have to go back and figure out how to get stickmount authorized by supersu again.
 
That was it! I connected the Nexus 7 via usb to my laptop, enabled usb debugging in setup, loaded the Nexus Root Toolkit 1.5.2 I had used to unlock and root on the laptop. Then pressing the "Root" button on the Toolkit ran through the rooting process, copied the new boot image in, and everything is fine now.
Another example of why we have these forums.
 
Anyone know if this work's with Android 4.2.2, just got my device from play store 2 days ago. Rooted it and confirmed with "Rootchecker", I have 2 x OTG cables (different makes) and a couple of USB devices and I get nothing at all!
:(

I'm also using StickMount
 
Anyone know if this work's with Android 4.2.2, just got my device from play store 2 days ago. Rooted it and confirmed with "Rootchecker", I have 2 x OTG cables (different makes) and a couple of USB devices and I get nothing at all!
:(

I'm also using StickMount

I'm unrooted on 4.2.2 and using an OTG cable with Nexus Media Importer and it's working flawlessly. I don't know if that helps you at all but I figured I'd chime in. ;)
 
Got this OTG cable at Amazon...
Amazon.com: T & S Electronics Micro USB Host Cable (OTG Cable) - Xoom, Galaxy S2, Acer Iconia A510, Toshiba Excite AT305, Google Nexus 7 & more.. LIFETIME WARRANTY!!!: Computers & Accessories

unlocked and rooted the N7
downloaded and installed Stickmount

turn on the N7
plug in the OTG cable
nothing happens
attach a Fat32 usb stick
a little box opens that says Stickmount and searching
then nothing
I open the Stickmount program it says nothing mounted
I open ES File Explorer....don't see it
Try another USB stick....same thing (this stick has a light and it comes on for a little bit)
Try a USB SD card reader (card is just Fat) when I plug in the sd card the green light comes on, but, still can not "see" the card

What am I missing here?
Thanks


By the way, this cable from T & S is the one I have. I got it in February, it actually failed on me last month (which he said is rare). The big deal is, I sent him an email around 8 pm on a Saturday, within 30 minutes I had a reply asking for my Amazon order number, and two brand new cables were shipped the following Monday, I got them Wednesday. The cables are a little higher priced than some I've seen but the service was impressive.
 
Ok just an update, I have just got 3 new USB Keys and also paid for "Nexus Media Importer " as I was sick of reading ROOT access documents!

I have two different OTG cables
3 different USB Pen Drives (FAT32)
Nexus 7 running 4.2.2
Build JDQ39
ROOT Access (verified)

And I still cant get this peace of shit to work!! What am I missing here...
 
Since you are rooted, try Stickmount (free). Are you sure you have an actual OTG-usb adapter cable? It can't be just a microusb to usb cable.
 
Ok, just tested the OTG Cables with my Samsung GS2 and one of the cables half works and the other I can plug a mouse in and it works fine!! So seeing as the Nexus 7 seems to be so fussy about cables I've ordered a couple more different one's to see if that fix's it.

Failing that all I can think is the 4.2.2 software is killing it? The cable that came with the N7 works fine when plugged into a PC so the micro USB port seems to be ok?

Xray
 
I know with my N7 that I have to have the cable and the USB drive plugged in before I start it up or it won't recognize the drive at all. I'm just stock rooted with Stickmount pro.
 
I just tried mine again. Rooted, stock rom & kernel, Stickmount, 4.2.2. I also installed the NTFS script file that can be downloaded from the Stickmount description in Play store to test my 750GB WD Passport external hd (formatted NTFS). I used a split cable with two usb male connections and the micro-usb connector for the hd, one to my pc for power, and the other into the OTG-usb cable. I started the N7, then plugged in the otg-usb cable and my hd mounted right up. I had to go into Stickmount to unmount after I tested copying files to and from the devices.
 
Back
Top Bottom