• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Stock Internet removed?

WynWins

Nov 24, 2011
I have a Galaxy S5 from Verizon and one thing that's bugging me is the stock browser with the normal blue Internet Explorer looking icon is nowhere to be found that I had on my S4 and just about every other Android phone I've seen. Does anyone know why it was removed and if there's a way for me to download it?

Well people like the stock browser because of its native flash plugin and how much faster it is than chrome. To answer your question New devices are leaving it out. If you are ROOTED you can install from play store if not Google search "stock browser for newer devices android" and you should find a guide to install for non ROOTED devices hope this helps.

Upvote 0
My phone is Verizon and I was confused at first when I didn't see it but I came from an LG phone on another carrier and liked the LG stock browser. I don't like chrome but I am an IE girl all the way on the computer so maybe that's why. Someone on the forums gave me this site to get back the stock browser and you don't need root to do it. I haven't had time to try this yet. I use ES file manager on all my devices so can recommend that for doing this. Mary!

How to Get Back the Stock Android (AOSP) Browser Without Rooting

Upvote 0
My phone is Verizon and I was confused at first when I didn't see it but I came from an LG phone on another carrier and liked the LG stock browser. I don't like chrome but I am an IE girl all the way on the computer so maybe that's why. Someone on the forums gave me this site to get back the stock browser and you don't need root to do it. I haven't had time to try this yet. I use ES file manager on all my devices so can recommend that for doing this. Mary!

How to Get Back the Stock Android (AOSP) Browser Without Rooting

Tried this, followed to a t, didn't work. APP NOT INSTALLED message at the end. bummer. any ideers?

:banghead:

Upvote 0
try Atlas browser to see if is only that browser or just any

I will certainly do that. Does Atlas also have flash?

I suggest that you download the apk to your desktop PC, and then copy the file over to the phone under Downloads and install it from there.

I had to do that with an app a while back. worked for me that time.

I did dnld the zip to PC, then move it over. But I did not unzip the zip on the PC then move the unzipped files over. I'll try it again both ways.

thanks!

Upvote 0
Just got the S5 today. Can't find the stock browser. Chrome sucks because i hate mobile sites and cannot change the user string, Dolphin Browser is having issues where i cannot pinch to zoom and the zoom buttons are missing.

Mozilla seems to not be able to change user string as well....

Sigh...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones