• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Stock on F2FS Experiment

rbheromax

Android Expert
I need a tester.
Someone who is experienced with linux.
I want to see if we can get a performance boosy by swtiching to F2FS (Samsung's new file system)
In the benchmarks here, it kills ext4 (what your on now):
embed.php

embed.php

POST 2:
our stock kernel doesnt support F2FS but im in the process of adding it to my rb3 kernel.
Anyone wanting to make the switch will HAVE to be on a modded kernel

Okay so this will be done by Odin
You already have the sysem files
we just got to figure out how to make a blank f2fs partition img
mount it, copy files, and flash
but the part about the krenel, im working on it now, i get it ot compile but it the kernel part of the kernel doesnt want to compile so i got to figure out whats wrong

so a few things:
f2fs needs a 3.8 kernel to run it, but we are on 3.4
im trying to patch it and build as a module. maybe it will work with kernel but i think its what killed my last build? it was either f2fs or exfat
i can build exfat as a module to im trying to build f2fs as one too.
wish me luck.

okay so i went thru the motions....created a linux 3.12-rc4 kernel

VERSION = 3
PATCHLEVEL = 12
SUBLEVEL = 0
EXTRAVERSION = -rc4
NAME = One Giant Leap for Frogkind

Doubt it will boot. It seems samsung didnt add much to get our "stock" kernel working, so I kinda just moved some files over, defined what needed to be defined (as per kernel porting rules), and compiled. I doubt it will boot. Only thing that shouldn't work now is CPU scaling. It wouldnt compile the CPUFREQ driver in kernel (wouldnt select default gov and this is needed for compile, couldnt fix for the life of me). F2FS is compiled in so we can test this rom on F2FS filesystems.

Back
Top Bottom