• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Stop Wi-Fi from turning on automatically

• Thread starter Thread starter Android Question
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    wifi
A

Android Question

I have an LG L41C Tracfone smartphone with Android 4.4.2. Frequently, when I have the telephone on, but no app running, the Wi-Fi function (Settings>>Wi-Fi) turns on by itself. It doesn't turn on immediately when I turn on the phone, but if, say, I take a half hour walk, by the time I get back, I notice that Wi-Fi is on. I wouldn't care, except (1) I believe Wi-Fi uses a lot of battery power and (2) having it on (without knowing it's on) makes it vulnerable to hacks (doesn't it?). Is there an Android setting that prevents Wi-Fi from turning on without explicit "permission" ... or an app that provides that function? Thank you.

Hi,
Go to settings> scroll down to WIFI/ WLAN.
Tap on this> three dot menu> advanced.
Tap on " keep WLAN on during sleep"
Select " Never".
When you need WIFI
Manually select
Settings> WIFI> select the switch on.

I wouldn't care, except (1) I believe Wi-Fi uses a lot of battery power and (2) having it on (without knowing it's on) makes it vulnerable to hacks (doesn't it?).

1.) That hasn't been my experience. I leave WiFi on all the time and don't see any significant battery consumption from it. Where you might have an issue is if your WiFi and mobile data connections are equally weak and both will jump back and forth to try and keep a data connection open all the time. That could drain the battery, but that scenario is highly unlikely.

2.) No, not really. There is not open connection to your phone just by having WiFi enabled, either connected or disconnected from a network. Even if you have a hotspot enabled, the only access anyone might have would be to your internet connection. The actual content of the device are not shareable unless you use an app like Airdroid. Even then you have to grant the connection specific permission to access your phone, so you'd know if someone is trying to connect.

@Parayilhussain answered your other questions. :)

Thank you! I have followed your instructions. I am very grateful to you.
The path was slightly different on my phone, so for others who have a similar issue, here's the way it looked on my phone: Settings>WiFi>(three lines, not dots, at bottom right corner of phone)>"Keep WiFi on during Sleep", select "Keep WiFi off"

Thank you. I am relieved on both counts. Actually, it wasn't battery usage that worried me as much as hacking, considering all we hear in the news almost daily. You response is encouraging!

Back
Top Bottom