• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Storage space running out

Hello, I have a few month old 32gb Turbo from Verizon. I'm having this now recurring warning, "storage space running out" and it locks me out of sending/receiving SMS/ mms, along with other functions.

When you select the notification, The system shows pics / videos as being the space hog with 22gb of files. (All pics and videos have been deleted from the device gallery). After Hours on phone with Verizon Tech, no fix. Matter of fact lost connection so many times the guy gave up calling back.

I downloaded Astro file manager since I've used it before and found by searching pictures (plus hidden files) that my thumbnail file in the dcim folder was the location, and there is two thumbdata files in there. Thumbdata3: 2.2mb, and one file in there called (thumbdata-idx3). that contains the 20+ GB file. Bam, I delete the file, and bam I'm back on the road. 98% free storage. No obvious issue using the phone at all. All the thumbnails are still there in the main folder, and take up maybe a whole meg. A few days later, its back to the same BS. I am using google+ to back up photos, and Dropbox, since g+ is such a crappy platform to share anything.

Any body know wtf is going on?

Last edited:
Are you set up to upload photos to a third party service like Dropbox, box, Flickr, etc? Do you use a third party social media photo app like whatsapp or instagram?

I'm wondering if one of those apps is indexing thumbnails for your online image store.

Try the apps mentioned here to get a good independent view of where your storage choak points may be -

http://androidforums.com/threads/qu...ruth-read-me-first-now-with-ram-truth.906249/

Remember that all system app updates, apps that you install, and private data for all apps go into /data.

If it's not a /data space problem, the system cache could be clogged up - you can clear that from recovery with no ill side effects on most Android phones but I don't own this one so others will have to continue advising you on the rest.

I hope Storage Truth will help, it sounds like you've been hit with some confusing info and that's exactly why we made it.

And fwiw - a 20 GB thumbnail probably indicates that you have a corrupted media file somewhere and the built-in media server (creates thumbnails) has lost its mind. If you've seen a battery drop with this going on then it's almost certainly that.

And fwiw - a 20 GB thumbnail probably indicates that you have a corrupted media file somewhere and the built-in media server (creates thumbnails) has lost its mind. If you've seen a battery drop with this going on then it's almost certainly that.

I am betting on this being the answer. I'm not sure how hard or easy it would be to find all of the image files in storage using Astro or ES File Manager, but if you can find them, copy them to your PC and then erase them all, then erase the thumbnail index file again, maybe that will do it?

I have a Droid Maxx, not a Turbo, but the KitKat build is nearly identical. It's 20 months old and the thumbdata-idx3 file on my phone is 283 kB (the thumbdata3 file is 1.9 MB). I also sync photos to G+ and Dropbox, plus I have the Dropbox app Carousel to access DB photos from the phone without downloading them (I have photos from all sources in Dropbox.)

So, 20 GB is obviously ridiculously large.

Back
Top Bottom