• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Strange message + tablet is acting weird

Hello everyone

I have been using a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 since 2013, and recently it has started acting rather weird. Sometimes when starting it up, it stops and gives me a message stating that something could not be loaded, and that in order to fix this, I would have to reset the tablet to factory mode. I can fix this by simply restarting the tablet.

However, I turned it on about half an hour ago at the time of writing this, and found that instead of taking me to the lock screen like it should have, it skipped past it and went straight to the home screen, and would not load the lock screen even when I turned the screen off, and then back on.

I then went to the settings to check if the lock screen was still enabled, and looked away while I waited for it to load. When I looked back, I saw a large message at the bottom of the screen, similar to the system notifications messages such as "Connected to (Whatever wifi network I am using)" or "Airplane mode enabled". While I was not able to see much of it, as it was already fading by the time that I looked back, I saw that it had a heading written in red text and with the words in all caps, and I was able to see the words "IS ON IT!" at the end of the heading. I could not see the beginning of the heading, nor was I able to see the message below it before the message faded.

In addition to this, an app called "Factory Mode" installed itself as a shortcut to my home screen, I did not open this app. I restarted the tablet in case the message would show up again, but the problem seemed to have fixed itself. The short cut to the app still remained. I then went into the settings to make sure nothing was changed, but when I went back to the home screen, the short cut was gone, and I could not find it again. The icon was a vertical white rectangle, with the android logo standing on the right hand side of it. At the top of the icon was a small horizontal green rectangle with the word "Android" in white text. I tried to search for any info on this in Google, but could not find anything.

If anyone knows what this was, or what I should do, then please let me know.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones