• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Stuck with Lollipop 5.0.2 ?

firemandude

Lurker
Jul 2, 2016
I have an LG LGV700 Gpad running lollipop 5.0.2 I was notified by a friend about the dreaded "godless" virus and he urged me to upgrade to Marshmallow 6 right away. Followed the LG user guidlelines about updating the OS and I received the dreaded "No update exists" so I contacted LG.

Here was their reply.

------Reply to Your Inquiry-------
Hi Robert, Thank you for taking time to contact LG and we really appreciate your e-mail! I hope everything is going well with you. Regarding your concern, I’m afraid we have yet any information as to when an Android Marshmallow update would be available for your tablet. But I’ll be forwarding your feedback to our Developers team so they can look into possibly including this to future updates. We do thank you for bringing this up. We do appreciate feedback and suggestions as this will help us know what mobile phone and tablet users want to have in their devices. We appreciate you for taking the time to communicate to us. Rest assured that we’ll take this into consideration. For now, the latest software version for the LG V700 is Android Lollipop 5.0.2, version V70020a. Meaning to say, you are running the most recent software for LG G Pad that is why, upon checking for system updates you receive a message that says "No update exist". If you have questions or need further assistance, please let me know. You can reach us out via LG Live Chat on our website (www.lg.com/us), or on our phone support by calling our technical support hotline 1-800-793-8896. Thank you and we wish you all the best. Sincerely, Abby --------- LG Customer Service Toll Free number: 1-800-793-8896
(END)

It seems to me that they want to keep me on lollipop 5.0.2 and subject my tablet to this "godless" virus.
End of my rant, but it just does not make sense.

I know what you're saying but isn't that nothing more than a slap in the face ? They're basically telling you "Yeah, you have to keep paying your $10 /mo data plan as per your 2 year contract but we're going to keep you on lollipop so that you risk getting the virus. Should be considered a breach of contract on AT&T's behalf.

Upvote 0
Every other Xperia Z3 that I know of have been updated to at least 5.1.1 but my Tmobile D6616 variant it seems will forever be stuck on 5.0.2, Tmobile stopped selling Sonys so they no longer support the Z3. I won't be buying anymore cucked phones after this experience. Icing on the cake is a locked bootloader.

Upvote 0
regardless of how you feel about it, the carriers have limited budgets/resources ( people ) to massage the new OS variants and try to make sure that they work for every device that they have in service.

There just is not enough time in the day, for them to get a new OS out to every device that has been created. Just ain't going to happen....

sorry to piss on your parade, but they are not ignoring you.
They have to make a decision as to what device is fixed first, and then they select the next "most important" device and go backwards from there.

Some devices will never get an upgrade....

Upvote 0
This one?

http://blog.trendmicro.com/trendlab...-malware-uses-multiple-exploits-root-devices/

Every now and then, a security company will find a new security issue in Android, claim it's the worst thing ever, make a huge deal out of it, then conveniently offer their own app as a solution/removal tool.

In this case, it's not a virus (they don't exist on Android), it's malware which is something totally different; you'd need to install a malicious app yourself to be at risk.

The main infection vector for malware on Android is installing apps outwith Play or any other trusted app store/source. Steer clear from illegitimate sources, don't pirate apps and there's only a tiny chance this will be a problem for you. If you want evidence to back this up, look at the chart showing the location of infected devices in the article. The country with the most infected devices (over 4x the next country on the list), is a country where app piracy is rife.

I've a few devices running 5.x in my house and it's not something that concerns me in the slightest.

If you're really worried, Trend surprisingly offer a removal/security tool at the end of the article. :)

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
This one?

http://blog.trendmicro.com/trendlab...-malware-uses-multiple-exploits-root-devices/

Every now and then, a security company will find a new security issue in Android, claim it's the worst thing ever, make a huge deal out of it, then conveniently offer their own app as a solution/removal tool.

In this case, it's not a virus (they don't exist on Android), it's malware which is something totally different; you'd need to install a malicious app yourself to be at risk.

The main infection vector for malware on Android is installing apps outwith Play or any other trusted app store/source. Steer clear from illegitimate sources, don't pirate apps and there's only a tiny chance this will be a problem for you. If you want evidence to back this up, look at the chart showing the location of infected devices in the article. The country with the most infected devices (over 4x the next country on the list), is a country where app piracy is rife.

I've a few devices running 5.x in my house and it's not something that concerns me in the slightest.

If you're really worried, Trend surprisingly offer a removal/security tool at the end of the article. :)

I think Trend gave up including China, it's a hopeless case. Sufficed to say, that's where most of the "free" one-click rooting apps and toolkits come from, is the PRC.

Last edited:
Reactions: El Presidente
Upvote 0
I have a Samsung Galaxy S introduced some 6 years ago?
It has never, ever, once had a "virus" on it, and it still works just fine today.
No issues with it at all.

I charge the battery once in a while, fire it up on WiFi and browse around, test the apps, and it works just fine. That is, just fine, if you can stomach the very slow speed of an ancient cpu that is stuck in the mud compared to today's speed demon CPUs.

Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones