• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help stupid media scanner

FirebirdStud

Android Enthusiast
Hey all,

I have a wierd problem with my phone... when I disconnect it from the power cord in the morning, it obsessively runs the media scanner... it scans and then completes, and keeps cycling. This is a rather new problem, and I cant figure out why it keeps doing this cycle.

I have tried turning it off and on, batter pulls, and it is annoying as hell. It prevents me from listening to music or doing anything until it finishes, but then it starts again. Its almost like the phone thinks I have plugged it into my computer, but I only plugged it into the wall...

Any fixes for this?

Anyone know the process name to kill in the applications window?

So annoying, and drains the battery when it keeps doing this for hours..

You might have a dodgey USB charging connector, either on the charger or on the phone.

You could try going to Settings > Applications > Manage applications > All > Gallery > Clear data.... and see if that helps.

If not, try it with a different charger if possible. If that doesn't help, then you may need the handsets port looked at under warranty.

Hope this helps. :D

Hmm, ok. I was hoping this may have been a glitch that was already addressed but looks like I may have been wrong. Thanks for the help and I'll try clearing the data first. I don't have another charger so I don't know how Im gonna test that just yet..

Maybe it's a wonky micro-SD card, too. It scans the media to see what's on USB memory, SD memory and internal memory, so maybe it's seeing a glitch.

I don't know if this issue was resolved, but whoever suggested clearing the cache in the Media and Gallery apps was spot on - that totally worked for me with the same problem on my Galaxy Tab!

Thanks!!

I don't know if this issue was resolved, but whoever suggested clearing the cache in the Media and Gallery apps was spot on - that totally worked for me with the same problem on my Galaxy Tab!

Thanks!!

that would have been ironass mate
wouldnt hurt to hit the thanks button for him.
:)

Thanks!!

Mine just stopped doing it on its own. For shits and giggles I went into those two named apps, and the button to clear cache on both of them is greyed out, meaning there wasn't anything to clear out. I wonder why yours had stuff in there to clear out?

I had the same problem with my phone. I found that there was a fault with the memory card. Try taking the memory card out and rebooting your phone, if the media scanner does its usual start up scan and then the phone is normal then you have the same problem as me. In order to solve my problem, I removed my memory card, put it in a card carrier and formatted it through my computer after backing it up so I didn't lose any files. Once the card was formatted, I put it back into my phone and it has been fine since, no need to download files to stop media scanner, no need to factory re-set your phone.

turns out there is a widespread problem with the charging port. I went and bough one off Ebay, should be here monday. Once I swap that out, we shall see how it works then.

Wonky charging port does all sorts of stupid stuff. Seems it isn't very moisture proof. *rolls eyes*

turns out there is a widespread problem with the charging port. I went and bough one off Ebay, should be here monday. Once I swap that out, we shall see how it works then.

Wonky charging port does all sorts of stupid stuff. Seems it isn't very moisture proof. *rolls eyes*
:eek:

What are you doing? Using it in the shower or licking it? :D

I wouldn't buy a cheap charger off eBay. Most of them struggle to maintain a constant output. I had some that sent phones haywire. I only buy branded chargers now. Ditto USB leads. Its worth the extra to protect your

:eek:

What are you doing? Using it in the shower or licking it? :D

I wouldn't buy a cheap charger off eBay. Most of them struggle to maintain a constant output. I had some that sent phones haywire. I only buy branded chargers now. Ditto USB leads. Its worth the extra to protect your

Installed the new port, and no more problems at all. Battery fully charges, I can connect to KIES, the works. Turns out Ive had a dodgy port since I got the phone. *rollseyes*

Back
Top Bottom