• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Sudden change in power use (Droid X2)

Hiya! I've had my Droid X2 since around the end of summer 2011 and it's worked pretty well for the most part. Lately it seems to be slow in loading icons when I got to the home screen, but I can deal with that. The bigger issue i've been having has cropped up quite recently.

I noticed about a week or two ago that my battery was only lasting about 45 minutes on a full charge. This is trying 2 different chargers at home plugged into the wall, charging via USB on the PC (not the best idea, I know, but experimenting), and even a separate charger in my car.

I have:
all the background apps turned off that it'll allow
always have Wi-Fi turned off
screen is dimmed
OS is up to date to most current possible
Stock software (no root, etc)

I know the battery can drain itself if it gets a weak signal and fluctuates between 3G and something lesser. The thing is, how i've handled the phone recently / where it is when I work, hasn't changed at in the whole time that i've had it. The signal can get spotty inside my work building, but it never drained the power before. I've even left it in my car between breaks where the signal is super to see if that was the issue. And it doesn't seem to help.

I'm just uncertain why it keeps running out of power so fast all of a sudden. The phone is normal until I start to do anything on it other than text or listen to music, then it gets really really hot. But it's not even the battery. It's below the battery. I have included a picture.

I've done some googling and I see a lot of people saying that batteries are rarely bad, and it's usually just some kinda rogue application. But I haven't downloaded anything new recently and have uninstalled many things from the past that I don't need, in an effort to try and pin down why my phone suddenly sucks in terms of power lately. But again, the battery itself isn't getting hot, but below.

I was wondering if anyone is familiar to this sort of thing happening and maybe offer me a solution? :)

Thats likely where your radios are.

Its true, apps are the problem the majority of the time.

I'd suggest you download an app called GSAM battery monitor, charge the phone, and let it do its thing for a day or so.

When the battery gets low again, open up the app and tap on the little vaccuum looking icon. Itll let you know what has been using the battery

Back
Top Bottom