• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Sudden WiFi connection drop and now it won't reconnect

s1mon87

I have been using Plane Finder to track a family member's flight this morning and my tablet has been working fine.

All of a sudden, Plane Finder was displaying "connection lost" but the plane on the screen was still moving. I couldn't really figure out why it was saying that as my internet wasn't down. Anyway after a few minutes the WiFi symbol disappeared from the top notification bar and my WiFi connection on the tablet was completely dead. I went into settings and it requested my WiFi password again so I typed it in, then it connected for a second or two, then it disconnected again. I've reset my router, I've closed all apps on my tablet, cleared the RAM, pressed 'forget' on the WiFi settings and set it all up again (three times). Turned the tablet on and off a few times and my tablet just won't connect to the internet full stop.

I'm really puzzled. My Galaxy S4 and my MacBook Air are working fine with my internet connection.

Can anyone suggest anything I can try next?

I might add that this tablet isn't rooted and hasn't got any modifications. It's just the standard out of the box interface running Android 4.3 and Samsung TouchWiz.

32GB WiFi only model.

Thanks in advance.

Update: I have done a factory reset and it's still not connecting to my WiFi. I can't sign into my Samsung or Google accounts. Looks like it's well and truly broke :(

Try a free app called WiFi Analyzer to give you a better picture of what's going on around you. It has several different screens that display competing signals and channels. At home it gives me the info to change my router to an unused (less busy) channel, rather than compete with neighbors' routers. When in hotels that have multiple WiFi routers it shows me the strongest signal. I have this go-to app on both the tablet and my smartphone. No, no investment in the software, just a longtime happy user. HTH.

When you say reset the router. ..... Did you just pull the plug or actually reset it back to factory settings?

Also how close are you to that router?

after KitKat mine gets stuck 'obtaining ip address' then goes into a loop until i forget it and re-add it. i suspect this has something to do with KitKat. it sometimes says 'network disabled because internet is too slow' for a second, but that is not correct as it is at least 4-5mbps!

Back
Top Bottom