• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Suddenly disconnected from Internet

Rgarner

Android Expert
This morning I went to use Wi-Fi and I found out the phones were somehow disconnected. The network is on, signal strength good, security strong. I see no way to reconnect except maybe by auto connect and that isn't working. How do I fix this?

It turned out the problem was on their end. After I found a "real" phone to borrow and wasted time on 3 fake numbers, the 4th worked and I wasn't on hold for really long. The guy said it could happen because of an outage, but I didn't notice any. I gave him some details and he was able to fix it without having to send anybody.

ah, as I had presumed, it was a back office outage - details of which will never be divulged to the customer, except that "we had a problem and we fixed it" so be happy...

I worked in telecomm 25 years, and this was the standard position all the companies I worked for assumed when handling back office outages: just fix it and don't tell the customer what happened. Most likely it was something we called backhoe fade whereby some trenching operation cuts a copper or fibre trunk and it takes a day or two to splice the circuits back together. Or someone bungled a software update patch on the switch servers and it took a day to restore the system. But never admit anything.

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised by that. We're lucky there haven't been more outages, I guess. At least the problem has been fixed, for now. As for 4 or 5 g, I have neither, just wifi, hence the critical importance of restoring the link. I might end up getting hooked, if only to avoid borrowing a "real" phone to report the problem and have somebody take care of it.

Back
Top Bottom