• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Suggestions

Here's my question: I was trying to play DOOM on SNESoid and it lagged like all heck and froze my Transform as soon as I took a shot. I mainly use the phone for games and texting, so will rooting help me play more graphical games because of the limted RAM for the Transform or is it pointless. I have read and reread the guides from Cooper and TheAndroid and am ready to root if this is the case but i would like some suggestions.
What Custom Firmware should I use?
What Kernel?
ROM or no ROM and which ROM if I should?
Also any other suggestions (other than get a differnt phone because I can't afford to do so until tax returns, lolz)
Thanks ahead of time guys!

Okay went ahead and rooted using I believe vampirefo and pumav3 kernel. Installed superuser and I see nothing there that would really DO anything. No apps in the list. No log, settings make no sense to me but I'm a noob and now my Transform isn't being recognized by the PC so now I can't tranfer my roms to my SD card. Tried to use the steps in the guide to get Windows to recognize a Transform but it wants me to select a specific folder for the drivers not just the folder with all the drivers. Any help is apprecaited otherwise I'm gonna flash back to stock tomorrow night and forget this rooting thing and deal with this crappy phone until tax return time. Thanks ahead of time.

Edit: Okay rebooted phone and got the debuggin mode thing to show. Need some help with how exactly to use Superuser and DOOM still freezes my phone. ANy ROM info and SUperuser use info is GREATLY appreciated.

If you downloaded the Superuser app from the market, delete it from your phone. Puma v3 has Superuser built in, just not in app form. The app was from before when rooting was more risky and you wanted a special permission system so that bad apps couldn't get root access and mess with your phone.

In short form, Superuser is just for managing permissions, and if you don't get rid of it it could mess with Puma v3's permission system.

Some apps that may help you make your phone a little bit faster-
Cachemate
MinFreeManager

I'll update this post with more info when i get home from work.

Update:
Cachemate clears your cache, which basically gives your phone more space.
MinFreeManager saves RAM on your phone. Settings should be:
Hidden App: 30
Content Provider: 60
Empty App: 90

Hit menu, then presets and "Save Current as Custom" to save this to the custom slot. Then hit menu and apply to apply it. From now on when you reboot your phone, go to presets, then custom, then apply it. Do not try to use the "Apply at boot" option, this does not work.

No problem, that's why I'm here :P Now on to your other questions...
What Custom Firmware should I use?
There's no such thing as custom firmware for our phones. You may be thinking of iPhones/iTouches or Wii's or PSP's or something like that.

What Kernel?
All depends on what you want. Puma v3 was an excellent choice though. For faster phone response but terrible battery, go with vampirefo's overclocked kernels. (Not recommended)
For better battery, go with his undervolted kernel.
In my opinion though, I like Puma v3 and the crUDkernel/Transform Ultimate Kernel Package (They are basically the same thing) the best.

ROM or no ROM and which ROM if I should?
Do you want your phone to remain mostly stock? If so, no ROM. If you want better performance, there are two ROMs I would choose from. I'll list the best suggestion to the least suggested one (in my opinion!)
1. Ubuntdroid Ubuntdroid 6.0 EB28
Amazing ROM, comes with the crUDkernel, but you can flash any kernel you would like over it. Also comes with the Clockwork Mod recovery instead of vampirefo's
2. Ultimate Trans Van Rom Ultimate Trans Van Rom [EB28]
Great ROM, second choice. Comes with the Transform Ultimate Kernel Package, don't know which recovery it uses.

One other ROM you may want to try:
Cinema Rom v.2.0.4.72

Updated my first post with more info on cachemate and Minfreemanager

Awesome thanks for the suggestions so if I flash any of these roms do I need to go ahead and flash back to stock before doing so or go ahead and flash the ROM and then flash to Puma again through recovery if I decide to do so. Also in the root guides it mainly dealt with the custom recovery and kernels, not really how to flash the ROMs. Are those instructions within those guides or is there another step-by-step on the forums? Sorry for all the questions that I'm sure you've been asked before. I am unfortuantely a total noob as this is my first Android (and I soooo wish I had went ahead and gotten the Epic). Once again you guys' help is greatly appreciated. Installed minfreemanager as well and found the setting that you listed in a previous post. Everything is a little bit faster, using Android Assistant for task killer, cache cleaner, etc., however when I Quick Boost it seems to kill my GOLauncher and i have to reboot. Really wishing I had paid the extra 50 bucks for the Epic right now, lolz.

Delete your task killer. Do it now. Haha, just messing. But seriously, task managers suck. They actually slow your phone down because they kill vital processes. What I recommend do everyone is the free app Watchdog lite. It is a task manager, but it tells you what is using what RAM/Cpu etc. and lets you decide whether to kill it or not.

As for ROMs, normally you want to flash back to stock, but don't for Ubuntdroid. There are specific instructions for the different ROMs on the threads I linked you to, but for the most part, you flash a ROM the same way you flash a kernel. Never forget to clear your dalvik cache first, though!

Awesome thanks again. Also I've been cruising around the web for stuff involving Ubuntdroid6.0 etc and found this: Samsung Transform Video clips - Phone Arena

It's got alot of different videos including flashing back to stock and installing Ubuntdroid6.0 from stock. Maybe this will help others and you can pass it along if they're actually any good. Or maybe this is old news and I'm still a TOTAL NOOBER. Will update thread after messing with the phone and let u know how everything went.

Edit: Trying to backup using Titanium Backup (not Pro can't afford at this time) but it just says "Asking for root rights" and does nothing else. Any ideas?

Awesome thanks again. Also I've been cruising around the web for stuff involving Ubuntdroid6.0 etc and found this: Samsung Transform Video clips - Phone Arena

It's got alot of different videos including flashing back to stock and installing Ubuntdroid6.0 from stock. Maybe this will help others and you can pass it along if they're actually any good. Or maybe this is old news and I'm still a TOTAL NOOBER. Will update thread after messing with the phone and let u know how everything went.

Edit: Trying to backup using Titanium Backup (not Pro can't afford at this time) but it just says "Asking for root rights" and does nothing else. Any ideas?

Titanium Backup has me at wit's end right now. I don't use it anymore, instead I back up through custom recovery.

As for the videos, was wondering why I've never heard of them before. They're from wwjoshdew's channel on youtube, he's very active on SDX helping out devs.
YouTube - ‪wwjoshdew's Channel‬‏

Ummmm not sure how this has happened but I flashed UD okay and great responsiveness now, just one problem, my phone is now registering no service and I cannot get into settings. States that the applciation is not isntalled. Will be flashing to puma real quick to see if that helps. If neone reads this and knows what's going on please respond. I hope I haven't turned my phone into an alomst brick to where it won't pick up service or something.

Edit: I am getting force close errors on phone/storage or something when I reboot. Trying puma now. Hopefully that'll fix it. Puma did not fix it. How do I go away from the ROM? Urrggghhhh......

Update: Flashed back to stock. Has service again got my contacts back too. I backed up through custom recovery system and data but I'm afraid to restore it all and somehow mess up. I have no idea now I managed not to brick the phone. Totally forgot to clear the dalvik cache before flashing the stock .tar. Anyway if you can figure out what was going with my service and those phone app errors I'll be more than happy to try again with Ubuntdroid. Save everything I DL. Also all of my apps and stuff are on my SD card still? Yet the phone acts like hey're not there. DO i just delete the folders and reinstall everything? THanks

Haha, it's harder to brick your phone than it is not brick it. My best guess is that you had a bad UD download, and you should redownload and reflash. Also, don't wipe or format data before or after you flash UD.

Okay, also found a post with these exact same issues in the thread you linked me to for UD. I believe it was Vampire that posted back to go ahead and use CWMod recovery to flash UD and before doing so change all three file formats to ext4 because apprently UD has HUGE problems with rfs file system. Do you agree? (Still stock as of this moment) Also do I need to deodex before doing any steps?

Yes, you need to deodex. Sorry, I forget these little steps. Whenever I flash a new ROM, I go back to stock, then add Clockwork Mod recovery.
You should always clear dalvik cache before flashing anything.
Flash this file to deodex: EB28 Stock theme template (deodexed)

Vampirefo is an amazing developer, but Clockwork Mod simply has more options and is easier to change formats. I would definitely believe UD has problems with rfs. Most people use ext4 because it is more stable, however I prefer ext2 because it is much faster and hasn't lost data (for me at least).

In short,
Deodex flashing the above template.
Use clockwork mod to change formats. (to ext4)
flash back to vampirefo's recovery if you like it better

Okay so I deodexed, set everything to ext4 then flashed UD6 again. Still no signal and no settings. So I'm flashing back to stock AGAIN tonight. I was reading later on in the thread that you have to flash this on TOP OF the UD5 beta 2 ROM to get it to work. If you can verify this then I'll try it again otherwise I'm just gonna stay stock because I'm too afraid of bricking because I can't afford to replace it even with insurance. Thanks again. (Also left a post on the thread at sdx, maybe they'll be able to confirm this as well and that would be awesome)

Okay so I deodexed, set everything to ext4 then flashed UD6 again. Still no signal and no settings. So I'm flashing back to stock AGAIN tonight. I was reading later on in the thread that you have to flash this on TOP OF the UD5 beta 2 ROM to get it to work. If you can verify this then I'll try it again otherwise I'm just gonna stay stock because I'm too afraid of bricking because I can't afford to replace it even with insurance. Thanks again. (Also left a post on the thread at sdx, maybe they'll be able to confirm this as well and that would be awesome)

You don't have to flash over top of UD5 beta 2. I flashed it over top of an old ROM, some Resident Evil ROM.

What I would do is flash any other ROM (try this one) 2.2.2_Platinum_Rom EB28_Platinum_Rom

Then redownload Ubuntdroid and reflash it.

EDIT:
Also, the only ways I know to brick your phone are to flash the wrong tar through SWUpgrade, and to flash a boot image too big for your phone. Neither of which you have to worry about.

Okay so I converted to ext4 with Vamp's recovery using these steps:
Boot to recovery
3. go to file browser and find the ext4_recovery.rfs
3a. Hit menu and flash the recovery
4. Hit back to you get back to the main screen and reboot into recovery
**Note* At the top it should say EXT4
5. go to console and push enter
6. type in "Ext4" without the quotes, it should reboot itself
Now my phone is stuck on the 1st Samsung screen witht he loading bar, been that way for about 15-16 mins. Ne ideas? Turned into 20 minutes so I powered back off and rebooted, same thing again.
Tried to flash UD6 to see if that was the problem and got this:
Tried to Flash UD6 to see if that was the problem and got this:
E:Can't format SYSTEM:
E:Failure at line3:
format SYSTEM:
Error applying update!
So I can get into recovery and it say EXT4 at the top and no blue errors, so I'm at a total loss for words here.

Don't use vampirefo's recovery as I discussed previously. It is simply much easier to use clockwork mod's.

Here. I'll go through it step by step.
1. Flash back to complete stock. No custom recovery or anything.
2. Apply the Clockwork Mod recovery through SWUpdater
3. Flash the deodexing stock template.
4. Flash the Platinum ROM I linked you to above
5. Convert system, data, and cache to ext 4 using Clockwork Mod
6. Flash Ubuntdroid 6.

Of course, clear dalvik cache before flashing anything

Okay coop i'm gonna flash back to complete stock and do this over again while I know you're on. Wish me luck, but real quick to need to go to rfs again before I go stock? Nevermind already did as a just in case

Okay still no service, dialer and phone FCed. Also freezing and not letting me select the launcher. Any clue as to what's going wrong? I tried to redownload UD6 but it just links me back to the thread on ud.com over and over again. Settings won't open either again.

Okay still no service, dialer and phone FCed. Also freezing and not letting me select the launcher. Any clue as to what's going wrong? I tried to redownload UD6 but it just links me back to the thread on ud.com over and over again. Settings won't open either again.

You have a bad download, and need to redownload.

Also, you HAVE to use Clockwork Mod to flash.

I did use CWM, that's why I'm so confused, I'm almost positive I forgot to wipe the dalvik either before I flashed the deodexed or before I flashed CWM. How do I flash the dalvick in stock?

Back
Top Bottom